Friday, June 29, 2012

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 16 - 3 Best Friends

Day 16 - write about your three best friends.  This topic will be an enjoyable walk down memory lane because the three friends I will write about were people from my distant past, and while I don't physically spend time with these best friends anymore and am only in virtual contact with one, they will always remain three women whom I adore.

My very first best friend (when I was actually old enough to appreciate what it is to have a best friend) is Terri.  I actually have mentioned her before in my Music Doesn't Lie (Blinded by the Light) blog, but I didn't go into much depth.  Terri was my best friend from the ages of 10 to 13, while my family resided in Honey Brook, PA. I met Terri the first day I moved to my new neighborhood.  I happened to just be walking down the street, checking out my new 'hood and she came right over and started talking with me. Terri was worldly in my eyes because she was a whole 2 years older than I was.  2 years is a lot when you're talking 10 and 12.  We had similar families: her family was Irish Catholic with 6 kids (she is the eldest), mine was Italian-German Catholic with 5 kids (I am the youngest), so we had a lot of bonding over these similarities. Unfortunately, our families each moved away after 3 years of living in Honey Brook.  My family went to Florida (near Ft. Lauderdale) and her family moved to just north of Chicago.  Alas, long distance friendships can be hard to keep, especially through the teenage years, but we were great pen pals for a long time.

My best friend all throughout high school was Paige. She is one of the smartest people I know and it was only through her friendship and brains that I managed to get through Advanced Econ my senior year.  Although, it WAS her fault that I took that ruddy class to begin with, so she better have come through for me. I can't remember exactly which class Paige and I met in but I know we definitely bonded over our insane Chemistry class.  I'm not entirely sure how anyone passed that class, but it was a ton of fun.  I still chuckle over it today. I definitely am grateful that I had my friend Paige to lean on through high school.  As these things often happen, Paige and I lost touch for a bit after leaving high school and going our separate ways to college.  I moved 2 days after graduation to New Jersey and she went off to the University of Miami (the lucky dog). But I am happy to report that we are still friends (even though it's mostly through Facebook) and though I can't comprehend her weird passion for marathon running, I am proud of her achievements!

My next best friend was during my first couple of years of college and then a few years after that.  I met Lisa after moving to New Jersey and getting a part time job as a Sears sales representative (ugh!) and we became fast friends.  Although I spent most of my late teens and early 20s in a drunken haze and spent a ungodly amount of time and money at nightclubs, Lisa was always right there by my side.  We saw each other through disappointing relationships, broken down cars, and family losses. We celebrated our lives through music, dance, and alcohol.  (Are you sensing a theme here?)  Disappointingly we had a falling out after a few years (over what else -- a man!) and I'm saddened by the fact that I lost that friendship.  I often wonder how she is.

I truly believe that people come into your life for a reason, whether it be for a brief time or a lifetime and I treasure those relationships no matter how long they last. I raise a glass to toast all my friends throughout the years!!

Next up:  Day 16 - My Crush

4 comments:

Paige said...

wow - I'm in a blog!

Sandi said...

‎:-) Yes, my friend, you are.

Jen B-N. said...

These are great, Sandi! :)

Sandi said...

Awww, thanks Jen.