Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 11 (Just Hold On)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music." – Jimi Hendrix

As I mentioned in my Music Doesn't Lie - Part 8 (Somebody That I Used to Know) posting, Gotye (aka Wally De Backer) is part of the three-piece band, The Basics. I stated that I was going to check them out and it was time well spent. Formed in 2002, the Melbourne-based band currently features the über-talented Gotye, Kris Schroeder and Tim Heath. (Tim Heath replaced original band member, Michael Hubbard, in 2004.) As of today, they have released 4 albums: Get Back (2005), Stand Out/Fit In (2007), Keep Your Friends Close (2009) and /ðəˈbæzɪtʃ/ (2010).  The last album, /ðəˈbæzɪtʃ/, is available to download for free on their website and no, that is not a typo. It really is entitled /ðəˈbæzɪtʃ/ (The Basics).  So far I've listened to Stand Out/Fit In and /ðəˈbæzɪtʃ/ and really, really enjoy listening to both albums. I particularly like Stand Out/Fit In in part because it draws its influences from the music of the '60s. If you like The Beatles (and really who doesn't?), then you will love Stand Out/Fit In.  I would be hard pressed to pigeon-hole them into a specific genre though. I'll just repeat what I mentioned in my previous blog: "Their style has been described as anything from 'indie-pop' to 'rock'n'roll' to 'pop-rock', though their records show they span a wide range of genres, including reggae, ska, country, and electro-pop."

Some of my favorite recordings are:  "The No. 1 Cause of Death Amongst Youth Today" (love this song and video), "Rattle My Chain," and "Hey There." I'm posting my ultimate favorite, "Just Hold On" which is from Stand Out/Fit In and you can definitely hear/see the Beatles influence - in both sound and look, in this video. I've been either humming or singing this song for two days!! It's so infectious. Listen/watch for yourself and let me know if you agree. Lyrics can be found here.


2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! What a fantastic song. I think I'm falling in love with Wally. Shhh! Don't tell Don.

Sandi said...

LOL! Glad you like the song and Wally. Crushes on musicians don't count, so enjoy! :-)