Sunday, June 24, 2012

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 11 - Foreign

I am certain that everyone has their own definition of "foreign." The dictionary's definition reads: "of, pertaining to, or derived from another country or nation; not native; external to one's own country or nation," which technically is correct, but it's not exactly how I define foreign. I find Webster's definition pretty limiting.

Sadly, I grew up in fairly homogenous neighborhoods - generally, middle class, Judeo-Christian and mostly caucasion. Thank goodness that changed as I grew older.  Then I was fortunate enough in having been a part of a huge melting pot (aka NYC) and my exposure to a greater number of ethnic backgrounds, religious beliefs, sexual identities, etc. blossomed. As a result, I no longer consider people who have a different background from mine as being 'foreign.' They had different experiences growing up to be sure, but I find that fascinating not foreign, because I can appreciate our differences. My friendships run the gamut of nationalities and I just love that I can be introduced to a whole host of thoughts and beliefs and ideas that are from a country outside the US.

What is 'foreign' to me are the people whom I cannot comprehend. People who hate others due to race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, political views, religious views, etc. are foreign. The intolerant, the ignorant, the haters! Don't be a hater!!

Next: Day 12 - What is your favorite day of the week?

No comments: