Sunday, June 3, 2012

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 9 (We Are Young)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music." – Jimi Hendrix

I've been on a mission the past few days to discover some new bands and/or singers to add to my music library, hence my discovery of Gotye and Bruno Mars. I realized that as of late my music selections have gotten rather stale and, in the past, my friends, whose musical opinions I respected, would introduce me to new bands and singers. Lately though, I haven't gotten any recommendations from friends. What's up with that? Therefore, I am forced to break out on my own and find new music to listen to. Don't get me wrong, I still love all 6700 songs on my iTouch, but it's time to add some new blood.  Where do you start looking for new music? Well, I started by checking out Europe's Top 100 songs. I generally prefer to start with Europe because the US charts invariably have someone like Justin Bieber in the top 10 and I just can't wrap my head around that concept.

It was while checking out the Top 100 songs in Europe that I discovered Gotye. But I also came across an American alternative rock band, Fun., who currently holds the #1 hit in Europe and #4 in the US with "We Are Young."  Fun. has released two albums to date: their debut album Aim and Ignite (2009) and Some Nights (2012).  I can't quite commit to saying that I love their albums as I haven't listened enough to them to form a strong opinion either way. But I am completely enthralled with "We Are Young" (featuring Janelle Monáe). Billboard magazine describes the song as a "grandiose alternative number, built on theatrical orchestration and a propulsive, immediate chorus that beams with inspirational effect" and the song has apparently been covered on the television show, Glee.  Erm. Okay. I wouldn't know as I'm not a Gleek and can proudly state that have never seen one episode.  But I suppose that they covered the song can be considered a 'Fun' fact (pun intended).

Take it away, Fun. and Janelle.


Here's the link to an alternative (acoustic) version. I'm not sure which version I like better but both recordings are pretty amazing. You can find the lyrics here.

8 comments:

Stacie said...

I ♥ Justin Bieber. I also have a ♥/hate relationship with Glee. So take these two suggestions with that in mind...Adele-21 & Jessie J-Who You Are!! ♥ both those albums to bits!

Sandi said...

Thanks, Stace-a-lah. I've been meaning to check out Adele. I don't know any of her music. I know nothing of Jessie J. About time you coughed up some recommendations. :-) ♥ you so!

Stacie said...

Jessie J - Mamma Knows Best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y29eTcRFEl8

Sandi said...

Holy cow! Great voice. Love her outfit. I want those pantyhose! :-)

Stacie said...

Who You Are album is really eclectic, a bit of everything and the killer voice is always consistent. I simply adore her & her personality is awesome too! I had this album on constant replay whilst driving in LA. She saved lives. True story. :)

Big White Room - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaos80oPqg&feature=related

Sandi said...

Again - HOLY COW! A big voice in such a tiny body. :-) She kinda reminds me a bit of Idina Menzel.

Stacie said...

I love the Brit Gals! I have both of Adele's albums, but this song just kills me every time I hear it. She is simply a genius. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAc83CF8Ejk

Sandi said...

Well, you know well enough about my love of all things British. I can't believe I haven't checked either of them out earlier. [smh] Someone Like You is amazing.