Saturday, June 2, 2012

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 8 (Somebody That I Used to Know)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music." – Jimi Hendrix

While checking out some random music sites, I came across a performer that I was so excited to discover. Gotye (born Wouter "Wally" De Backer) is a Belgian born, Australian raised multi-instrumental musician and singer-songwriter. According to Wikipedia, his style is indie rock, alternative rock, but it's so much more than that.  His latest album, Making Mirrors (2011), runs the gamut from pop to new age. There's even a hint of Australian aboriginal influence in a song or two. His voice has been compared to Sting and Peter Gabriel and there's a clear similarity. Due to how much I enjoyed Making Mirrors, I decided to check out his other solo albums and found his two earlier albums, Like Drawing Blood (2008) and Boardface (2003) equally compelling. In addition to these solo albums, Gotye is also a member of the The Basics, a three-piece band from Melbourne, Australia, formed in 2002. "Their style has been described as anything from 'indie-pop' to 'rock'n'roll' to 'pop-rock', though their records show they span a wide range of genres, including reggae, ska, country, and electro-pop."  I haven't yet had the chance to check out their music, but I'll be getting on that soon.

As with Bruno Mars, I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite song from Making Mirrors, because is just such an eclectic and interesting album.  Certainly his hit, "Eyes Wide Open," is worth a listen. The video is pretty cool too.  "I Feel Better" and "In Your Light" have a fantastic beat and make me want to dance every time I hear them.  But I've decided to post "Somebody That I Used to Know," for several reasons: (i) it's an amazing song, (ii) it's an even more amazing video, (iii) it was nominated for seven ARIA Awards, (iv) it features a collaboration with New Zealand singer-songwriter, Kimbra, and finally, I just think everyone will love the song.  After all, it's been a #1 hit in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Scotland, Slovakia, South Africa, Sweden, UK, US and Venezuela. All these countries can't be wrong!


Here's a link to the lyrics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song!!! Have you heard this version/cover? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M
-Julie A.

Sandi said...

Holy cow! That is the craziest cover! Although these people are a little freaky! :-)