Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Skunks? Really?? Cooooooool!

Cute little critters!
Living in a concrete jungle (aka NYC) for 17 years and in the suburbs for dozens years before that, I have limited experience with wildlife.  The last time I came in contact with a skunk was probably in the mid-70s, back when my family would vacation in a campground in the Pocono Mountains and/or the 3 years that we lived in the mountains of Pennsylvania. That is, until today. On my daily (weather permitting) 6-mile power walk around town, I came in contact (not literally) with a family of skunks.  Holy cow!  They are ccccuuuuuute!  I didn't get too close for fear of being sprayed, which is why the photos are not the best, but I couldn't resist shooting a couple of pictures of these adorable, albeit smelly creatures. There were approximately 5-6 skunks, just hanging alongside the Clipper City Rail Trail, a scenic "1.1 mile multi-use pathway running between the MBTA commuter rail station and the shoreline of the Merrimack River near downtown Newburyport" and part of my daily walk. 

This encounter just blew my mind.  After all, I'm living in a town of 17,000+ residents ... and a number of skunks, apparently.  But it's not the wilderness. In the year that I've lived in town, I have had on occasion to smell the little rascals as their scent would waft up into my apartment's open windows and had been told by friends that they were a bit of a menace in town, but for the life of me, I couldn't imagine actually seeing them. After today's skunk-capade, I will be a little more vigilant during my walk.  I'd hate to miss seeing something so amazing as these adorable beasts.

No comments: