Sunday, June 24, 2012

Career Change: Drinking the Kool-Aid at Induction

This past week has been a fascinating one in the career change arena. Over the past few days, I have been at Induction. What is Induction? In the Teach for America model, Induction is the first week of summer training in preparation for teaching in our region starting in the Fall. But that doesn't really tell the whole story of Induction. I don't know how many people have been involved with these types of institutions, i.e. Teach for America, Americorps, the Peace Corps, the Girl Scouts, etc., but usually this first week is the touchy-feelly, Kumbaya singing, "drinking the Kool-Aid" week. Now I'm not saying there's anything at all wrong with that. In fact, I actually did drink a small Dixie-sized cup of Kool-Aid this week (not the huge vat that was being served to me) but enough to know that I'm completely on board with TFA's core values of trying close the education gap that exists in this country but still mature enough to not fall into a Vulcan mind meld.

This past week was a long, tiring and emotional one. I obviously cannot possibly relate the entire story because it would be too long and tedious, so I'll regale you with the high points of the week! It started on Tuesday afternoon on the campus of Boston University with my arrival at the residence. I was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations which consisted of 4 single bedrooms with 2 bathrooms, kitchen, living room and dining area. Having never experienced university dorm culture due to being a commuter student, I was nervous about how much I would love and/or hate this part of the week but I lucked out in having the MOST AMAZING dormmates (Sarah and Lindsey). I had opted into the option that was given to me of rooming with people over the age of 25 and jumped at the chance without a single regret. Not that I don't adore my younger corps members, but rooming with someone just out college would have been...erm...difficult.

Tuesday night's opening ceremonies started with a keynote speech from a unique TFA staff member - the custodian from the TFA office who gave the most moving speech. Brought to the US from El Salvador (I believe) at a young age by her family, she (sadly) received sub-par instruction from her local public schools and was even told by a high school guidance counselor that she had zero chance of ever getting into college.  (BTW, that counselor should be fired!)  But did she let that deter her? No! She spent the next eight years after her high school graduation working three jobs and saving her money, and, beginning in the fall, will be attending college in order to get her nursing degree (a long held dream).  Not a dry eye in the house. 

After some Kool-Aid speeches on Wednesday morning, the entire corps of approximately 90 members drove to Lawrence High School in Lawrence, MA (duh!) in order to have a chance to actually sit and chat with some of the types of students that we will be teaching come fall. Spending time with such amazing kids energized the entire corps and reminded us of why we have made this commitment! One of the best moments of the week.

Because Thursday was not a good day at all, I'm going to jump ahead to Friday, which was the best day of the entire week. Friday was "Community Day" in which the corps members traveled to the communities where we will be teaching. For me, that is Revere. I didn't know very much about Revere and was completely thrilled to be able to spend some time there on Friday. After a tour of Revere High School, the 10 corps members who have been placed in a Revere school had a chance to have a panel discussion with some Revere leaders, including the school district's assistant superintendent; a representative from Revere CARES (an organization committed to improving the health concerns in Revere); one of Revere High School's vice principals; a parent/community recreation director, etc. It was a fantastic opportunity to really get to know the community in which we'll be teaching and how we can best serve this culturally diverse and interesting city.  Later in the day I got to spend some time at my school, Seacoast, and after meeting with Principal Misci and the ESL Director Mogavero, I am more excited than ever to start my teaching career.  I've been asked by Principal Misci to teach a couple of additional classes over and above my ESL responsibilities and they are 2 English classes and an Intro to Drama class!  Woot, woot!! Director Mogavero loaded me down with a ton of ESL reading material in order to prepare me for re-taking the ESL MTEL. Bless his heart!

Friday night ended with a barbecue at the 18 acre estate of Chris and Hillary Gabrieli which is located in Beverly Farms.  If you don't know who Chris Gabrieli is, check out this link and be astounded!  They are an amazing couple who are long time supporters of TFA and education reform and they were gracious enough to open their lovely home to us.

We finished up on Saturday with a few Institute prep sessions and finally a little more Kool-Aid was handed out at the closing ceremonies.  Now the real work is about to commence now that I have traveled to Institute, which is 5 weeks of intensive training in Philadelphia where I will also be teaching summer school for some of Philadelphia's kids. Check back next week and see how Institute is going! I hope I'll have the time to keep posting about these experiences.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

AWESOME!! So excited for you. This sounds like a great opportunity. How cool about the 2 extra classes??? (Not the extra work, but the extra classes!!)

Sandi said...

Yeah, I'm very jazzed about it. Esp. teaching English and drama! So very, very cool.