Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Love Affair with Chobani Yogurt!

Yogurt is often a staple for healthy eating. But up until approximately 6 weeks ago, I would have said that I loathe yogurt and didn't understand everyone's fascination with it. I had tried every brand over the past 30 years or so - Yoplait, Dannon, La Yogurt, Activia, Stonyfield Farms, etc. - and my feelings about them can be summed up with: "Yuck, yuck, yuck!"  That is until I was introduced to Chobani Greek yogurt! OMG! Pure heaven in a plastic container. While in Boston for TFA Induction, one of my suitemates introduced me to Chobani and it's been a love affair ever since. In fact, I would supplement my nasty sandwich lunch by adding a container of Chobani while in Philadelphia. So satisfying.

According to all the nutritional "experts," Greek yogurt is by far the healthier choice over and above regular yogurt.  In a head to head contest, low- or fat-free Greek yogurt has about the same amount of calories, but has more protein, lower carbs and less sugar than the regular low- or fat-free yogurt. I found this article to be a great read about the differences between the two.  Added to all of this, I think Greek yogurt just tastes better!  While I'm sure it's better to buy the plain Greek yogurt and add your own fruit, I'm way to lazy for that. Chobani has 21 flavors available! Here are my favorites: Strawberry-Banana, Pineapple, Vanilla, Peach, Apple Cinnamon, Raspberry, and Black Cherry. I will say I didn't like the Lemon or the Blood Orange.  Both flavors had a weird aftertaste. The Blueberry was just okay. I have not yet tried the Strawberry, Passion Fruit, Mango, Pomegranate or Honey flavored, but I plan on trying them soon.  They also have a kids-friendly line that I'm dying to try. What's better than Orange-Vanilla or Honey-Nana?!  Honey and banana!!!  Yum!!!

Some people prefer the Fage brand over Chobani but I have not yet tried Fage. Perhaps I'll try that next.

So if you have never liked yogurt, I suggest getting yourself a container of Chobani and trying it.  BTW, none of this applies to frozen yogurt. That has always been delicious. Check out George Carlin's take on yogurt.  Oh, George, I miss you!  [Note: I have not been paid by Chobani for this review.  But if anyone at Chobani would like to...]


4 comments:

Maureen said...

I love Chobani too! Don't bother with the passion fruit, it tastes really weird and it's really crunchy! I threw it out after 3 spoonfuls. My faves are Blood Orange and Pomegranate

Sandi said...

Oooh, that does sound weird. I don't know why I didn't like the blood orange. I may try it again. Might have been a weird day. :-)

Paige said...

haha! now put a small spoonful on a plate and see what your cat does! Gaston goes nuts for it.

Sandi said...

OMG! I'm so going to try that. I can't wait to see what Lotta does