Monday, July 30, 2012

Career Change: Home Sweet Home!

After 5.5 weeks (40+ days, 967 hours, 58,055 minutes, 3,483,300 seconds - give or take), I finally arrived home last night. But there's not much time to relax. Right now, I don't have a fall placement and quite frankly I'm not trusting that TFA will be able to get me a fall placement in the content area for which I'm licensed. Despite my repeatedly telling them that I don't feel like I have enough training in order to teach ELL students and that I'm not licensed in ESL, they continue to mention that there's a good chance that I'll be teaching ESL in the fall. <sigh>  Seriously, I'm getting fed up with TFA who apparently is not interested in keeping their corps members happy and instead are focusing on their own agenda.  Because of this issue, I'm starting to apply for my own English/Language Arts positions - in addition to hoping that TFA will finally wake up and find me ELA positions to interview for. Not having a placement is a little unnerving but I'm dealing. 

The rest of this week, I'm pretty much left to my own devices with not much work to do, which will allow me to enjoy Newburyport's Yankee Homecoming and watch the Olympics. Starting next week, TFA has arranged for the corps members to continue with some additional professional development over the following two weeks before the various school districts' new teacher orientation begins. Additionally, I will do my own studying by spending the next few days devouring Harry Wong's The First Days of School and Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching, which most teachers consider the must reads for every teacher - old and new. I know teachers who have been teaching for dozens of years who still reread both books every year before the school year starts.

On the personal side, my beautiful kitty made it through like a trouper the nearly 6 weeks of her mom being away. She has spent most of last night and today laying on mom's lap demanding attention, although she occasionally nips at me which is how she shows her displeasure over my leaving her alone for as long as I did. That being said, I'm unbelievably happy to be home. 

1 comment:

Jodi said...

spot on with the reading... I still read Harry Wong every August. Perhaps not cover to cover, but I go through it every year.