Thursday, July 12, 2012

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 29 - Tests

Day 29 - Tests!  I suppose I feel the way most people feel about tests: I'm not a fan but I recognize that unfortunately they are a necessity.  We certainly cannot hand out driver's licenses until we test people's skills before getting behind the wheel of such a dangerous instrument. But what I despise mostly about tests is that more often than not standardized tests are solely used to measure students. The reality is that standardized tests are here to stay, but it doesn't mean that I like them. In Massachusetts where I will be teaching full time starting this Fall, the students take MCAS tests (Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System) and each time I applied for a teaching position, the interviewer would ask my opinion on standardized tests and I would give my best answer which is that yes, I will do everything in my power that my students pass their MCAS's but that I believe that students need to be measured by more than just what's on those tests.  Students should not be subjected a "one size fits all" test.  The truth is some people just naturally test better than others and we should not be educating students to pass these tests, we should be instilling them with knowledge and once they learn that knowledge, they can apply that knowledge toward the test. Unfortunately, I'll be spending 4 weeks this summer doing exactly the thing I hate: teaching for the test.  ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Final assignment: Day 30 - Write about where you see yourself in five year.

No comments: