Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Career Change: Crazy Dreams and Nightmares

For the past few days (ever since I knew I was going to face actual students and feeling thoroughly overwhelmed and under prepared), I've been having some truly crazy dreams and nightmares. All of them have been in connection with teaching.  For example, one dream last night had to do with me buying a bottle of ink (like it's the 1800s and ballpoint pens aren't de rigueur) and then having that bottle of ink get smashed in my bag all over my lesson plans and homework assignments. In the dream, I cried and cried. Another nightmare had me being held hostage by my class until their demands were made for longer lunch hours and shorter lessons. The dream ended in a standoff.  I have a feeling it didn't go well for the teacher.  :-)  

Okay, so yes, I've been feeling a little out of my element for the past couple of days and it's definitely eking into my subconscious and coming out to play during my limited sleep time. This isn't anything new for me. I use to have similar nightmares about former jobs, so I'm used to it, but it's still a little disturbing to be held hostage for hours by some unruly teenagers. I have a feeling the nightmares will get worse before they get better.


5 comments:

Barbara said...

De rigueur!! Geez, you are an English major aren't you?

Sandi said...

Who? Me?? :-)

Jodi said...

Today during an afternoon nap, I had a dream I was falling down an escalator. Interesting interpretation....... :(
http://www.dreammoods.com/

Sandi said...

"To dream that you are a hostage indicates that you are feeling victimized or powerless. You feel limited in your choices or physically immobilized. Perhaps this dream is paralleling some situation/difficulties in your daily life or relationship. Alternatively, to dream that you are a hostage suggests that a part of yourself is not fully expressed." Wow, that's pretty accurate! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Sandi said...

Hmmm. "Ink - To see ink in your dream represents creativity. You are adopting a new way of looking at things. If ink is spilled in your dream, then it symbolizes a blemish or minor problem. Or perhaps you are about to be exposed. Alternatively, ink may also be a metaphor for "getting ink" or getting a tattoo. To see bottles of ink in your dream suggest that a solution to your problem will soon become apparent." "Bottle - To see a bottle in your dream indicates that you are pushing your feelings back inside, rather than expressing them. The contents of the bottle represent the nature of the emotions. A bottle of champagne shows your need to socialize, while a bottle of poison signifies evil thoughts and a wine bottle symbolize sexuality. To see an empty bottle denotes that you have exhausted your inner resources. You may be feeling drained and empty inside"