Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Career Change: Maybe I'm Just Too Old...

Okay, so I'm starting to think maybe I'm just too old for this career change.  Of course, it would have been better for me to have had this thought months ago before I set myself on this course.  So yeah, having another Ugh type of day.  

Let me first say that I really do like my students, but most days I'd like to strangle a few of them.  I guess biggest issues I'm having is the blatant disrespect that they show their teachers.  I know that incoming freshman still have that BMOC mindset  from being 'kings of the hill' in 8th grade, but even so, I don't understand the major attitude that they have.  Now my students are really smart kids, but it appears that no one in all the years that they've been in school has given them instructions on the proper behavior during class. Of course, I'm not looking for little robots, but when I was growing up, I always had respect for my teachers. It's what was expected of me.  Have times changed that much? This is why I'm starting to think I'm just too old to be doing this.  I know some of my discontent is stemming from being utterly homesick and really, really tired of dorm life, but I am really getting fed up with being on the receiving end of extreme belligerence from 14 year olds.

So I have about 4 really mouthy kids in my class who when they're on task can be fantastic students, but it takes forever to reel them in and then when you give them consequences for their bad behavior, they smart mouth back. I know it's partly because they hate being at summer school (which is mandatory for all incoming freshman), but everyday 4 different teachers over the course of 4 hours give the same speech over and over about behavior and the consequences.  These kids end up in detention every day, but they just don't seem to get it. 

Okay, Sandi... just 9 more days.  Hold on for 9 more days!  I'm hoping my classes in the fall will be better. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it.  The really sad thing is that I love teaching and all I am asking for a little respect and cooperation from my students. That's not asking for much.

No comments: