Monday, July 9, 2012

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 26 - Archery

Day 30 - Archery??  What the...! Okay, okay. Archery!

When I think of archery, my thoughts automatically go toward Robin Hood. Robin Hood was known to be a highly skilled archer. I have always loved the story of Robin Hood and really, who doesn't love a story about a heroic outlaw? I have probably seen every movie made about Robin Hood from the 1938 film with Errol Flynn, to Walt Disney's Robin Hood, and Mel Brooks's Robin Hood: Men in Tights and on and on.  The worse of them being the Kevin Costner version. Whoever said that Kevin Costner could act was highly mistaken!  

Today, archery is mostly known as an Olympic sport. In a couple of weeks when the London Olympics are in full swing, I will most likely watch the archery contests. Not because I love archery per se, mostly because I generally enjoy watching all the various Olympic sports. I'm amazed what these talented athletes can accomplish and really enjoy watching the various competitions. I've even been known to watch a curling match during the winter Olympics. But I only watch those matches if I have insomnia. Talk about a snoozefest!

One more thing to note about archery. I remember archery being a part of  my physical education classes in middle school and I personally hated it. It was a fairly painful sport with the bowstring always rubbing against the inside of my forearm and the plucking of the bow on my fingers caused blisters. Even the protective gear didn't help my sensitive skin. Ergo I knew from an early age that I would never be a great archer. <weep>  ;-)

Day 27 - Design a Perfect Day

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hunger Games!!!! Short of that I never think of archery, and I'm ok with that. :)

Sandi said...

OMG, how is it I never thought of Hunger Games! I love those books!!!