Tuesday, July 22, 2014

2nd 30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 9 - Words of Wisdom

We're on day 9 which is: "Post some words of wisdom that speak to you".

The problem with doing a writing challenge when you've written as much as I have, you sometimes come across writing prompts that you've already discussed...twice!  :-)  There were two postings that discussed the words of wisdom that speak to me: "Love All, Trust Few, Do Wrong to None" and "Unforgettable Quotes". I'm not sure how I can expand on these two posts.

As I mentioned in "Unforgettable Quotes", I keep a running list of all of my favorite words of wisdom, which is currently up to 62 quotes. I suppose all I can do is reiterate my favorites.  I'll give you my current top 8:
  1. "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none." – William Shakespeare (1564-1616), All's Well That Ends Well (Act I, Scene I)
  2. "It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone."  – Rose Kennedy, wife of Joseph Kennedy and the mother of President John F. Kennedy (1890-1995)
  3. "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." – Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J.K. Rowling)
  4. "To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." – Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, J.K. Rowling)
  5. "Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." – Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady, US diplomat and reformer (1884-1962)
  6. "We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing." – Konstantin Josef Jireček, Czech historian, politician, diplomat, and Slavist (1854-1918)
  7. "To thine own self be true." – William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet (Act I, Scene III)
  8.  "If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." – George Carlin, American comedian and actor (1937-2008)
And speaking about my love of words and all things English-related, I must add to this posting, one of "Weird Al" Yankovic's recent songs, "Word Crimes". Spot on and hilarious! I fully intend to show this video the first week of school.

Next up: Day 10 - Write something for which you feel strongly.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Great list. I only have one phrase, "Just Do It!" Yes Nike, I couldn't have said it better myself

Sandi said...

Nice one.

SnarkyTom said...

I like number 6. I've been living that dream my whole career. I also love Weird Al's video. Funny and informative. It's nice to see that he hasn't hung up his accordion yet. I saw him once at the Mann Music Center in Philly. He opened for...(drum roll)...The Monkees.

Sandi said...

Yeah, #6 has always been a favorite of mine. Weird Al and the Monkees! Awesome!!!!!