Saturday, July 26, 2014

2nd 30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 13 - What Excites Me

The days are clicking along. We are now onto day 13: "What are you most excited about?"

Ummm...not much.

I've learned something over the past few years: don't get excited over big things. Why? It boils down to what I know about life...or at least my life. My life has been a series of disappointments and failures - failed relationships, failed careers, failed health, etc. In particular, the things that I was most excited about ended up being the worst failures (i.e., my performing career, certain relationships, etc.). Those failures continue to plague me on an emotional level, and I just don't want to deal with that level of disappointment anymore. 

So I make a conscious effort not to get too excited about much these days. If you stay placid, then when life inevitably falls apart, you don't go through a major emotional upheaval. Therefore, I limit my excitement to those things that can't crush my spirit: books, movies, music, food, and television. If any of these five items disappoint, it's no big deal. There's another book, movie, musician, restaurant, or show to discover.

Here are the upcoming items to which I'm looking forward: series 5 of Downton Abbey, series 2 of The Paradise, the film Boyhood, The Book of Life (book 3 of A Discovery of Witches series). And if any of these suck, life goes on.
Next up: Day 14 - movies I never tire of watching

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I am with you cuz. Not much excites me these days either. Now, if I had that multi-million dollar winning lottery ticket, I would be over the moon with excitement because then I could plan exciting getaways. But for now, I am content to be excited by the smell of new car. We got Kurt's new car today and the leather interior smells awesome. I am excited for the first road trip which will pretty much consist of driving to the grocery store tomorrow. LOL!

Sandi said...

Oh well, of course, winning the lottery would put a whole new spin on life. Although with my luck, the minute I'd win, I'd also find out that I had 6 months to live. Although it would be a fun 6 months. I love the smell of a new car. Congrats. Maybe you can go a little further astray tomorrow than the grocery story. :-)