Thursday, July 17, 2014

2nd 30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 4 - An Inspiring Person

We're up to Day 4: "Write about someone who inspires you."

There are so many inspiring people that have lived in this world, it's difficult to narrow it down to just one. You have the obvious choices: Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Princess Di, Martin Luther King, Jr., Eleanor Roosevelt, Justin Bieber. Ha! Not! Just seeing if you're paying attention. But I wanted to focus on an inspirational person who is not famous, but has been an inspiration for me my entire life:

My Aunt Jo


The seventh out of 11 children born to Italian immigrants (my grandparents), my mother's sister is an amazing woman. At the age of 89 (I feel comfortable writing her age because she proudly mentions it to anyone - and rightly so)... at the age of 89, my Aunt Jo has more vim, vigor, piss and vinegar than any 12 people I know.

What makes Aunt Jo such an interesting and inspiring person is that when her first husband (my Uncle Jimmy) passed away over 40 years ago, Aunt Jo needed to figure out a way to support her three children. She could have played the weak, helpless woman and begged others for assistance, but no, that's not her way. With no business education or background, she took her at-home, casual, hair salon and turned it into a thriving beauty salon. She purchased a salon that had a home attached (upstairs), where she could keep an eye on my cousins and still work. Instead of finding an office job or working in someone else's salon, she chose the harder, but more rewarding solution - opening her own business. Despite having the same genetic make-up, I'm not so certain that my mother would have been able to do something so risky. Aunt Jo was so committed to her clients, that if one of them was in hospital or sick at home, but needed their hair "done", Aunt Jo would travel to them with styling gear in hand. After all, what woman doesn't want to look pretty when in hospital. :-) Visiting the salon was a treat for me because I just loved to sit and listen to the chatter. It was non-stop. Yes, yes, I've heard all the jokes about beauty salons and gossip. It's true. I also admire her ability to work with all that hair (see yesterday's posting).

At one point, I believe when she was in her 70s, she drove a shiny red sports car - and drove it well. Aunt Jo has a zest for life that is still apparent today. When I saw her back in December at my mother's funeral, she is the same feisty firebrand. Her memory is sharp as a tack and other than a couple of shoulder problems (which she refuses to get fixed!), she is healthy as a horse. When we went out for dinner after the wake, she sat with a cocktail in hand, holding court, and entertaining the table. She is a wise and intelligent lady. I predict that she will outlive us all. In addition, my aunt is kinder and certainly more respectful to me than my own mother ever was!

Because we live 900 miles apart, I don't get a chance to see my aunt very often and that makes me sad. As she is the last surviving child of my grandparents, when she does pass on (probably in a 100 years or so), it will be a sad, sad day for my large close-knit family. I will always remember: my Aunt Jo's love, the family gatherings at her house, the delicious food from her kitchen, and that beautiful smile.

With much love, I raise a toast to her. I also would like to salute another amazing woman who passed away today at the age of 89. Someone who like my aunt was full of life - the Broadway actress and singer, Elaine Stritch. Here's to the ladies who lunch!
Next up: Day 5 - 5 Places I Want to Visit

9 comments:

Tom said...

Good one. I did not see this coming. I was curious about your question earlier and didn't put it together. You captured her well.

Tom said...

I think mine is ready. I guess. I always feel like I'm that person finishes 2nd after reading one of your blogs. I'm so inadequate. I wonder how I got that way. Hmmm? Can't think of a reason, can you?

Sandi said...

Hmmmm. Gee, I wonder where that came from. I also had all day to write it and rewrite and tweek it. I'm surprised you didn't figure it out.

Marianne said...

That was very nice. Feel free to call her whenever you like, she has a cell phone now. It is the same number as her last home number. She would love to hear from you. I will ask Martin to show her what you wrote.

Sandi said...

I've got her number. I'm just so awful at keeping in touch with people. Ask any of my friends or family. :-)

Marianne said...

Writing assignment Day four

After giving today's assignment a considerable amount of thought, I can say with conviction that no one person inspires or has inspired me. This is not to say that I am uninspired because that is not the case. I am fortunate enough to have known so many individuals over the course of my life and can confirm that every single one of them have inspired me in one way or other. Avid supporters and critics alike share equal responsibility for the choices I have made in life. Many thanks to those of you (friends) who said, "you go girl" and to those (foes) who said, "there is no way you should pursue that, what the hell are you thinking?" Thanks to those who made numerous mistakes. Because of you I was able to avoid making the the same mistakes myself. Thanks to the endless hours of conversations on the phone, driving in the car or just chatting over a cigarette, beer, dinner, lunch or dessert. Thanks to all those dates that ended up in disaster, to the failed relationships and the successful ones, to the grandma who flipped me off on the Tappan Zee bridge and to those teachers and co-workers over the years who provided me with the impetus to be better than them. Thanks to Bruce and the band and a host of other musical artists for providing the soundtrack to my life. Basically thanks to everyone who has ever shared their thoughts, feelings, and gestures even if only in the form of a smile or sneer by a stranger in passing. Without all of your influences heaven only knows where I would be right now for better or worse. My only hope is that I am able to keep those who are precious to me in my life until the end and that I am continue to be inspired by everyone and everything around me.

Sandi said...

Marianne, really nice answer to the assigned subject matter. A grandmother flipped you off? [smh]

Marianne said...

Yes she did I was shocked! Although I have no idea why having seen my Mother give the old Italian hand on the bicep salute on many an occasion! LOL!

Sandi said...

What? Aunt Jo? Nnnnnooooooooooooo, never. LOL!!!!