Monday, July 14, 2014

2nd 30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 1 - 10 Things That Make Me Happy

Here's the first of daily writing challenges that I will (hopefully) complete over the next 30 days: "list 10 things that make you really happy". Oddly, enough, this subject is one that's quite similar to a blog I posted last month (What I Won't and Will Miss, Plus My Regrets). I tried very hard to not repeat anything from that other posting, but... a couple sneaked in there.

Here's my list:
  1. Watching pretty much any British television series/sitcom (especially Pride and Prejudice, North and South, Sherlock, Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Bleak House, Little Dorrit, Black Books, Father Ted, Absolutely Fabulous, and so many others).
  2. Swimming (I don't get a chance to get into the water nearly enough but it's something I truly enjoy).
  3. Watching the standup routines of any of the following comedians/comediennes: George Carlin, Robert Williams, Chris Rock, Ellen DeGeneres, Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby, or Eddie Izzard.
  4. Reading Pride and Prejudice or the Harry Potter series (it's well known that I'm a reader but these 8 books never fail to make me happy).
  5. Traveling (something else that I don't get a chance to do nearly enough).
  6. Listening to music.
  7. Teaching (as aggravating as it can occasionally be, it's something that makes me very happy).
  8. Performing (acting/singing/dancing) on a stage.
  9. My cat, Lotta (I constantly crack up at the antics of my little furry faced friend).
  10. My Mr. Darcy (this one is a little weird. But the best 6 months of my life happened four and half years ago, when I met someone special who made me the happiest I've ever been - also made me the saddest I've ever been).
Next Up: Day 2 - Write something that someone told you about yourself that you will never forget.

6 comments:

Marianne said...

Here are my 10 minus the commentary.
1) Music and singing to the radio in my car where I sound amazing and there is no one to tell me any different.
2) Driving my Nissan 370Z (yes mid-life crisis car).
3) The cool ocean breeze.
4) The sound of the ocean.
5) Watching and listening to Kurt laugh hysterically at the Three Stooges even though I will NEVER understand or appreciate their humor.
6) My job. I love being a lawyer.
7) The smell of vanilla.
8) Margaritas and Jimmy Buffett, they go hand in hand.
9) Movies and popcorn, ditto.
10) NY/NJ pizza which I have been deprived of for far too long. But alas, Grimaldi's is opening a restaurant in El Paso, so I have high hopes!

Sandi said...

Love this list. So 3, 4, and 10 are ones that you miss out by living in El Paso. But I bet you have great Mexican food.

Marianne said...

Nope, the worst Mexican food anywhere believe it or not. Taco Bell is where I go.

Sandi said...

Wow, that sucks!

Yolanda Hayes said...

Love it. Too bad I don't have a cat to entertain me. I think I'm going to join you in this challenge.

Sandi said...

Yeah, pets are vastly entertaining. You live in NYC, roaches and rats aplenty. They can be entertaining. Yay! You're going to join me with this challenge.