Sunday, July 20, 2014

2nd 30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 7 - 10 Songs I'm Loving

How quickly the days fly by! I'm up to day 7: "List 10 songs that you're loving right now."

This topic is pretty easy.  All anyone has to do is look at my recent "Music Doesn't Lie" postings and you'll see what I'm loving at the moment. But that's too much work for everyone.  

Right now, I am completely obsessed with listening to English singer-songwriter, Ed Sheeran's two albums, + (read as "plus") (2012) and x (read as "multiply") (2014). I just keep flipping between the two - when I reach the end of one, I switch to the other and vice versa. Eventually I will tire of them, but not at the moment. As there are 32 songs in total between the two albums, I picked my top 10. Easier said than done!

Listed in order of preference - the videos are live versions of the songs (except "Runaway" - couldn't find a live version):
  1. "Wake Me Up" from + (video) (lyrics)
  2. "Thinking Out Loud" from x (video) (lyrics)
  3. "Sing" from x (video) (lyrics)
  4. "The A Team" from + (video) (lyrics)
  5. "U.N.I." from + (video) (lyrics)
  6. "Photograph" form x (video) (lyrics)
  7. "Runaway" from x (video) (lyrics)
  8. "I'm a Mess" from x (video) (lyrics)
  9. "Take It Back" from x (video) (lyrics)
  10. "Small Bump" from + (video) (lyrics)
The list is slightly uneven as there are few more from x than +, which does not mean that + is inferior. I just have listened to x a little more than +. Seriously, both albums are just filled with an abundance of brilliant music. There isn't one song that I "suffer" through or skip to get to the next one. Every song is fabulous. I suggest if you're going to purchase them, you should buy the deluxe editions!

Anyway, this is one talented musician! I cannot wait to hear his next album, which probably won't be for awhile.

Tomorrow, Day 8: Share something you struggle with.


2 comments:

Marianne said...

I recently heard an Ed Sheeran song and liked it. I know he is big with the Swifty (Taylor Swift) set so, I kind of dismissed him. But I may have been too quick to judge. Not that I dislike Taylor, quite the contrary. I saw her with George Strait in concert and she was awesome. She has come a long way since and has fast become the Madonna of country crossover, over promoted, desperate to remain relevant. Anyway, I will give Ed a try based on your endorsement.

I listen to a variety of music from multiple sources. My current favs traverse time and genres. Ten songs that I am digging now thanks to my local oldies station and XM radio are:

1). High Hopes - Bruce Springsteen. Pushing 65 the Boss is still rockin' the social commentary. Just love him. The song is a bit of a downer though but we can still have high hopes. Whoops there goes another rubber tree plant.

2). Bastille - Pompeii. Another downer but a catchier tune.

3). Happy - Pharrel Williams. This song just makes me happy. It is a pity that both it and U2's Ordinary Love lost the Oscar to Let It Go from Frozen. Seriously, Academy!

4). All of Me - John Legend. He is so good.

5). If I Die Young - The Band Perry

6). Bad Time to Be in Love - Grand Funk Railroad

7). Rooms on Fire - Stevie Nicks

8). Scar Tissue - Red Hot Chili Peppers

9). Just Like Heaven - The Cure

10). Caught Up in You - .38 Special

Sandi said...

I'm completely indifferent to Taylor Swift. I don't own any of her music and probably wouldn't know a Taylor Swift song if it punched me in the face. But I do like Sheeran. I don't know many of your current favs. I'll have to check them out.