Saturday, October 12, 2013

Unfortgettable Quotes!

I've been racking my brain for the past couple of days to come up with a blog post, but I have been completely blocked on what to write. What to do, what to do?? Awhile ago, I stumbled upon a random topic generator and had bookmarked it - in case I ran into just this situation: writer's block. I generated a few different topics that didn't quite interest me before the following was generated:  Unforgettable Quotes. 

I love collecting quotes. On my Facebook page, I keep a running record of my favorites quotations. Additionally, I update the quote on this page (look to the right; under "my" photo) on a fairly regular basis. I find that when I occasionally can't quite express myself as would like, I turn to people smarter than me for their words of wisdom. The current tally of the number of sayings in my collection is 37. They are the words of the famous and semi-famous that I have found to be moving, on point, and unforgettable. I'm very picky on the quotes I choose as my favorites which is why I have such a low number out of the millions of statements out there. I won't bore everyone with listing all 37; therefore I will only be posting my top 5. Narrowing this list down to 5 was most difficult, but here they are:
  1. "Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." – Eleanor Roosevelt, American First Lady, diplomat and reformer (1884-1962)
  2. "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us." – Alexander Graham Bell, American (Scottish-born) inventor (1847-1922)
  3. "We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves." – Francois de La Rochefoucauld, French author amd moralist (1613 - 1680)
  4. "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." – Lao Tzu, Chinese philosopher (6th century BC)
  5. "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." – Thomas Edison, American inventor and businessman (1847-1931)
Words to live by.

The Eleanor Roosevelt quotation is probably my favorite of the lot, particularly as I've long been an admirer of the late first lady! Of course, the above sayings do not include my top Shakespeare quotes which I have already written about before. Shakespeare always deserves to be in a class of his own. If you'd like to read all 37 (and counting) of my favorite quotes, feel free to check them out here.

Do you have a favorite quote??  Please share!!

13 comments:

Tom said...

What about my famous quotes? Like: It doesn't have to be right as long as it's funny. Or: It's not a party until someone's going to Emergency and someone else is going to jail. C'mon! These are classic and inspirational. Actually I stole both of them. I think the first was quoted by Pope John Paul and the second by Ghandi.

Anonymous said...

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Success has many fathers while failure is often an orphan

Sandi said...

Funny, Tom.

Anon, I like these two. Particularly the first one.

Paige said...

All on my Facebook page:

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the
beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want
to do, that is the strength of the human will. To
trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the
courage to succeed." - Bernard Edmonds

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Ted Geisel, a.k.a. Dr Seuss

"Fortitudine Vincimus" = by endurance, we conquer

"Nobody cares if you’re not a good dancer. Just get up and dance. The same holds true for racing. Whether first or last, we all cross that same finish line. Just get out there and run." - Karno

Sandi said...

Paige, I'm going to have to raid your FB page for quotes. :-)

Paige said...

“Immortality lies not in the things you leave behind, but in the people your life has touched.” (unknown)

“Don’t let your learning lead to knowledge; let your learning lead to action.” (Jim Rohm)

“The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” (Vince Lombardi)

“There are two ways of exerting one’s strength; one is pushing down, the other is pulling up.” (Booker T. Washington)

Sandi said...

I see I'm not the only quote maniac!! :-D

Paige said...

I had to give a presidential address in 2008 - I used a lot of other peoples' words....so much easier to quote the best....

Lee said...

1- Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened... 2-“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” (Love Seuss)

Sandi said...

Lee, both of those are on my list already. Agreed. Love Seuss.

Bonnie said...

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Sandi said...

Nice one, Bonnie. My favorite quote from the Dalai Lama is: "Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace."

Bonnie said...

Basically everything he has said or written has resonated with me. <3 the Dalai Lama