Monday, July 7, 2014

My Fascination With Cemeteries...


What are your thoughts on cemeteries? A time-honored tradition or a superstitious medieval practice which should be abolished?

Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours touring around three of Newburyport cemeteries (Old Hill Burying Ground, Highland Cemetery, and Oak Hill Cemetery). I admit that I have a fascination with cemeteries - not quite to the level of obsession, but I do love exploring them. Every time I go on vacation somewhere, I always seek out the local cemetery. Personally, I don't find it ghoulish but others might. There's something quite peaceful and reflective about walking among the tombs with just your thoughts and the quietness around you. I rarely hear any noise at all except the occasional ghostly howl...joking.

One of my favorite cemeteries is Cimetière du Père-Lachaise in Paris. It's this magical place of calmness in the middle of a busy city. Where else can you see the final resting places for such a wide assortment of people? Famous figures likes Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf, Oscar Wilde, Frédéric Chopin, Molière, and Marcel Marceau (just to name a few) are all buried in Père-Lachaise. I spent an amazing afternoon there years ago and it is one of the coolest places to visit when in Paris. 
Edith Piaf's grave
Yet, I personally wouldn't want to be buried in a cemetery. Naturally, I've thought about my final resting place and I decided a long time ago to be cremated and have my ashes scattered in the ocean. Something George Carlin once said (see video below) made me really think about what I would request for my permanent address.
George has a valid point and his solution is the ultimate recycling plan. Therefore, I have this weird catch-22 with cemeteries. I agree with George that the space could be better utilized than holding onto old bones, but then again spending time wandering around cemeteries can be a zen-like moment. Perhaps the answer to is to keep the old historic cemeteries and just not build any new ones.

Thoughts?

6 comments:

Tom said...

Just was at one. Your mother says hello.

Sandi said...

Your mother.

Tom said...

Tim's mother.

Sandi said...

Sharon and Richard's mother

Tom said...

Ha ha ha, someone needs to be blamed.

Agatha said...

I love cemeteries too.