Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 35 (Coming Home)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix

What do you do when you see David Tennant in a picture with a band that is totally unknown to you (see photos below)? Naturally, you check out the band. After all, if the Doctor is a fan, the band must be good! The Doctor knows all. That's how I found out about the English indie rock band, Kaiser Chiefs, who are from Leeds and formed in 2000 under the name Parva. They renamed themselves after a soccer team in South Africa in 2003 and "have released five studio albums, Employment (2005), Yours Truly, Angry Mob (2007), Off with Their Heads (2008), The Future Is Medieval (2011), and Education, Education, Education & War (2014), one EP Lap of Honour (2005), one compilation album Souvenir: The Singles 2004–2012 (2012) and numerous singles, including the number one hit song 'Ruby'." (Wikipedia). Again, I somehow missed a fantastic band who has been around for eons! Well, okay, 14 years.

The band has been primarily inspired by new wave and punk rock music of the late 1970s and 1980s. It's challenging to place Kaiser Chiefs's influences, but The Clash, Talking Heads, The Cars, and other new wave bands of yore come to my mind. I haven't listened to all of their albums, but have been spending a good amount of time on their VEVO channel. It was time well spent! I'm going to ruin my budget by purchasing their albums!

Here are just a few of my favorite songs: "Meanwhile Up in Heaven", "Na Na Na Na Naa", and "Oh My God" are irresistible. "Everyday I Love You Less and Less" is irreverent and fun! The love song "Ruby" is very catchy. In addition to great music, they have fabulous videos. I decided to highlight the song that I listened to first. I just can't seem to stop listening to "Coming Home" (lyrics). Enjoy!

Here are the pictures I saw of David Tennant with Kaiser Chiefs. Love them!



No comments: