Friday, July 18, 2014

2nd 30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 5 - 5 Places I Want to Visit

We're cracking along. It's day 5: "List 5 places you want to visit."

Wow, I'm limited to just 5. This is going to be difficult. If you remember from Day 1, one of the things that makes me very happy is traveling. I've always said that if I ever won the lottery for a boatload of bucks, all I would do is travel.

I really don't get a chance to travel as much as I would like. Some of the places I've been fortunate to travel to are: London, Paris, Milan, Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome, Key West, Montreal, and Quebec City, but there are so many more places I would like to see.  To try and limit my list to 5, I started with making a list of every place I'd like to see. I have 33 places on this list, then I started thinking if I were given 6 months to live (something that is a real possibility any day now), which are the 5 that I must see before I die.

Here's what I decided - in no specific order:

Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe/Zambia

Located on the border of Zimbabwe and Zambia, Victoria Falls is classified as the largest waterfall on the planet - although neither the highest nor widest. It is based on its width of 5,604 ft and height of 354 ft, resulting in the world's largest sheet of falling water. "David Livingstone, the Scottish missionary and explorer, is believed to have been the first European to view Victoria Falls on 16 November 1855 from what is now known as Livingstone Island, one of two land masses in the middle of the river, immediately upstream from the falls on the Zambian side. Livingstone named his discovery in honour of Queen Victoria, but the indigenous name, Mosi-oa-Tunya -- 'the smoke that thunders' -- continues in common usage as well" (Wikipedia). This is one amazing natural wonder of the world. Of course, any trip to Africa must include going on safari to a wildlife reserve. Cost: approx. $8000 for a 10 day safari/Victoria Falls visit.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Every time I watch a movie filmed in Amsterdam (i.e., Diamonds Are Forever, Oceans Twelve, and The Faults in Our Stars), I think to myself: "Why haven't I visited that city?" The 'Venice of the North' is a picturesque city filled with bicycles (over 600,000), canals (165), and bridges (1,281). It was the home of Anne Frank, and houses the largest collection of Van Gogh paintings. Yes, it is also known for its red light district and cannabis coffeeshops. It has a rich history and plenty of attractions, all within a compact, easily traveled area. It's an urban village and so very, very pretty. Cost: approx. $2000 for a 1 week stay.

Machu Picchu, Peru

Located in the Cusco Region, Urubamba Province, Machupicchu District in Peru, Machu Picchu is a 15th-century Inca site located 7,970 ft above sea level. It is situated on a mountain ridge above the Sacred Valley and most archaeologists believe that Machu Picchu was built as an estate for the Inca emperor Pachacuti (1438–1472). "Often mistakenly referred to as the 'Lost City of the Incas', it is perhaps the most familiar icon of Inca civilization" (Wikipedia). Built by the Incas in 1450, it was abandoned a century later during the Spanish conquest. Generally, most people hike the Inca Trail in order to reach the summit - which is either a 2- or 4-day hike, but I hear it's worth it. Cost: approx. $2000 for a 7 day trip.

Athens, Greece

For someone interested in ancient history, Athens is the place to be. One of the world's oldest cities, with its recorded history spanning around 3,400 years, Athens has so many attractions that thrill and amaze travelers: the Acropolis, the Parthenon, the Erechtheum, the Temple of Hephaestus, the Odeon of Herodes Atticus... well, the list just goes on and on. One of my favorite places to visit while traveling in Rome was the ancient Roman ruins (and I don't mean Sophie Loren), so traveling to Greece to see the ancient Greek ruins would be a dream come true. Plus there's the added bonus of great food, tons of museums, and nice people. Of course, no visit to Greece is complete without a visit to one of the Greek islands: Santorini, Mykenos, Corfu, etc. Cost: approx. $2400 for 2 days in Athens and 4 days in Santorini.

San Francisco to Los Angeles to San Diego, California

Okay, one of my dreams has been to complete the ultimate California road trip (in a convertible, of course) from San Francisco down the cost of California to San Diego, making stops along the way in Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and wherever else the wind takes me. Before leaving SF, I'd swing north to Napa Valley. Perhaps go across to Tijuana while in San Diego. How much fun does this sound? I've never visited California and have been dying to go but it just hasn't happened. Places to see along the way are the Hearst Castle, vineyards in Napa Valley (and I don't even like wine), the Winchester Mystery House, Catalina Island, and so much more. Theoretically, this trip should take some time. I would probably earmark at least 2 weeks. Cost: approx. $3500 for 2 weeks.

These are just my top 5. Some other destinations on my wish list are: Capetown, Dublin, Barcelona, Bora Bora, Sydney/Melbourne, Cairo/Pyramids, and many, many more!

Next up: Day 6 - Five Way to Win Your Heart (ugh!)

4 comments:

Marianne said...

I can say that I have been to a lot of different countries and US cities these are still on the bucket list.

1) Venice, Italy
2) Ireland and Scotland
3) Key West, Fl
4) Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen
5) Oktoberfest in Munich - beer and pretzels need I say more?

The new Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field and yes even Fenway Park, the Texas state fair, the Grand Ole Opry, Alaska and last but not least a whirlwind tour of every awesome roller coaster in the world. Despite my fear if heights for some reason I am a thrill ride junkie. They keep making them bigger, steeper and faster. Woohoo!!!!

Sandi said...

3 years living up here and I still have not yet gone to Fenway. I love roller coasters. Have you ever been on the one in Great Adventure - Kingda Ka. It's the tallest and fastest roller coaster in North America. It was awesome.

Marianne said...

Kurt said you aren't missing out on anything by not going to Fenway. Typical Yankees fan. Maybe next summer I will visit and we can go to a game. Yes that is me inviting myself. And yes I have been on Kingda Ka. It was awesome!

Sandi said...

Me casa es su casa.