Thursday, January 23, 2014

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 27 (The Catharsis Playlist...)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix 

As many of you are aware, I have been compiling a list of songs that comprise a "catharsis" playlist. I created this list because I've been trying to use music to push myself past a now over 3 year old heartbreak with which I just can't seem to come to grips. I'm thinking that I'm stuck with these feelings forever. Therefore, when the emotions get to be too much, I turn to my playlist and get all those emotions out and usually (but not always) feel somewhat better. Then some time goes by and the emotions well up again and I repeat the whole process. Not every song on my list fits exactly into my particular situation, but within each song there is an applicable line or two or six or... well, you get the idea. Overall though, a predominant number of songs on this list are spot on perfect for my life, especially #16.

I've featured many of these songs in my Music Doesn't Lie series, but I figured it can't hurt to assemble the list in one place. I have friends who are going through some similar issues, so I thought I'd share my catharsis playlist with everyone in the hopes that it might be of some assistance. If you are ever going through heartbreak, unrequited love, and/or relationship sadness, music just might be your best alternative for getting through the emotional baggage. After all, "music has charms to sooth a savage breast" (William Congreve, The Mourning Bride, 1697). 

Here's my playlist - they are in random order:
  1. Listen to My Heart - Nancy Lamott (lyrics)
  2. Let Them Talk - Hugh Laurie (lyrics)
  3. I Know Him So Well - Judy Kuhn and Marcia Mitzman (Chess) (lyrics)
  4. I Know the Truth - Sherie Rene Scott (Aida) (lyrics)
  5. Boston - Augustana (lyrics)
  6. Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye (lyrics)
  7. She's Out of My Life - Josh Groban (I like Josh's version better than Michael Jackson's) (lyrics)
  8. Grenade - Bruno Mars (lyrics)
  9. What'll I Do? - Linda Ronstadt (lyrics)
  10. With One More Look at You - Barbra Streisand (lyrics)
  11. Hold On - Alison Fraser (The Secret Garden) (lyrics)
  12. I'm Not That Girl - Idina Menzel (Wicked) (lyrics)
  13. There's a Fine, Fine Line - Stephanie D'Abruzzo (Avenue Q) (lyrics)
  14. Takes That Look Off Your Face - Helen Walsh (Song and Dance) (lyrics)
  15. Out of This World/So in Love - Nancy Lamott (lyrics)
  16. Not A Day Goes By - Bernadette Peters (Merrily We Roll Along) (lyrics)
  17. The Night It Had to End - Alison Fraser (Romance/Romance) (lyrics)
  18. Who Will Love Me as I Am? - Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner (Side Show) (lyrics)
  19. Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler (cheesy 80s music video - love it!) (lyrics)
  20. My Junk - Original Cast of Spring Awakening (lyrics)
  21. Feels Like Home - Josh Groban (lyrics)
  22. You're the Only Place - Josh Groban (lyrics)
  23. Another Train - The Poozies (lyrics) [added 1/24/2014]
  24. If I Can't Have You - Etta James - duet with Harvey Fuqua (lyrics) [added 1/24/2014]
  25. A Thousand Years - Christina Perri (lyrics) [added 1/24/2014]
  26. Something in my Heart - Röyksopp (lyrics) [added 1/24/2014]
  27. Only If You Have a Dream - Cast from Kat and the Kings (lyrics) [added 1/29/2014]
  28. On My Own - Frances Ruffelle (from the musical Les Miserables) (lyrics) [added 2/2/2014]
  29. I'll Never Say Goodbye (theme from The Promise) - Melissa Manchester (lyrics) [added 2/2/2014]
  30. Already Home - A Great Big World (lyrics) [added 2/5/2014]
  31. I Don't Wanna Love Somebody Else - A Great Big World (lyrics) [added 2/5/2014]
  32. Say Something - A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera (lyrics) [added 2/5/2014]
  33. Love is Blind - Janis Ian (lyrics) [added 3/9/2014]
  34. In the Winter - Janis Ian (lyrics) [added 3/9/2014]
  35. You've Got Me On a String - Janis Ian (lyrics) [added 3/16/14]
  36. I Dreamed a Dream - Anne Hathaway (from the film Les Miserables) (lyrics) [added 4/5/14]
  37. Miserable Without Your Love - Lily Allen (lyrics) [added  5/17/2014]
  38. It's a Motherf***er - The Eels (lyrics) [added 5/27/2014]
  39. To Make You Feel My Love - Billy Joel (lyrics) [added 7/2/2014]
  40. Feel It - Bright Light Bright Light (lyrics) [added 7/4/2014]
  41. Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran (lyrics) [added 7/22/2014]
  42. You Got It - Bonnie Raitt from the soundtrack of Boys on the Side (lyrics) [added 8/4/2014]
  43. Mad About You - Belinda Carlisle (lyrics) [added 8/4/2014]
  44. Love of My Life - Queen (lyrics) [added 8/26/2014]
  45. You Oughta Be Here With Me - Patti Cohenour (Big River) (lyrics) [added 9/21/2014]
  46. Not in that Way - Sam Smith (lyrics) [added 12/8/2014]
  47. One Year of Love - Queen (lyrics) [added 12/8/2014]
  48. My Melancholy Blues - Queen (lyrics) [added 12/8/2014] 
  49. It's a Heartache - Bonnie Tyler (lyrics) [added 1/18/2015]
Can you think of any songs that I may have missed? Do you already have your own catharsis playlist? My plan is to keep adding to the list as I find more and more songs. Keep an eye out for updates to this list!


16 comments:

Jacqueline said...

What! No "Pictures of You" by The Cure? Or...for something (probably) new for you, though I'm not enduring heartbreak right now, Royksopp's "Something in my Heart" makes me delightfully wistful.

Sandi said...

I've never been much of a fan of The Cure. But I'll check it out. The funny thing about Royksopp - the guy who introduced me to Royksopp is the guy who broke my heart, so I can't listen to them right now. Eventually I'll add them, but........

Jacqueline said...

Oh no, new to you for the wrong reasons indeed! I definitely suggest givin it a spin though, the guy they have on the track, Jamie Irrepressible has an amazingly pretty voice. For later though!

Sandi said...

It's on my list. Thanks, luv.

Kim said...

Hmmm, dunno if we have the same taste in music, but I like my heartbreak tinged with anger - makes me feel a bit more powerful I guess.
U2 - One
Proclaimers - (I'm Gonna) Burn Your Playhouse Down
Julia Nunes - Odd
Oh, and of course Alanis Morrissette - pretty much the entire Jagged Little Pill album.

Sandi said...

Yeah, I'm not big on the anger heartbreak. That's not my style. I like the U2 song but the lyrics are totally wrong for my situation. Wouldn't act as a catharsis. The Proclaimers lyrics are way too angry. Odd is okay but again not feeling it. I'll check out Jagged Little Pill. I don't know the album.

Jessie said...

I have my own list but a lot of it is noisy...some very noisy. Well I also like some heart and soul...some old school Toni Braxton lol.

Sandi said...

Jessie, that's funny. Two very different competing genres.

Jessie said...

Variety is good :-)

Jessie said...

I have to say Three Days Grace "Pain" was played on a loop for a teeny while some years back. Still a good one. :-) And as needed Toni Braxton's "He Wasn't Man Enough for Me"

Sandi said...

I have never heard of Three Days Grace. I just listened to Pain. Me likee! Thanks. Not feeling the Toni Braxton song.

Jessie said...

If you liked the Three Days Grace one I also looped their "Animal I Have Become" & "I Hate Everything About You" lol. Frequently looped! That and always stuck Papa Roach's "Last Resort" in there somewhere. Fantastic to blast in the car while driving. I might of suffered from some hearing loss as a result.

Sandi said...

These are some angry songs! And not at all how I feel. I'm not angry, just sad and hurt. So these won't work for me, but I get how these songs can work for others.

Jessie said...

Yep, I definitely prefer to be in a state of anger but I know I had some sappy depressing ones to weep to also. I just don't remember those ones off the top of my head lol

Stacie said...

One of my favorite albums! The Essential Etta James (2 Disc) has many many tracks that will make you feel many many emotions: All I Can Do Is Cry, I'd Rather Go Blind, If I Can't Have You, Fool That I Am, Sunday Kind of Love, Do Right Woman, Do Right Man, Pushover, W.O.M.A.N...Just to name a few!!

Sandi said...

Stacie, ooooohhhhhh, Etta James. I never thought to add a few tracks from her. Thanks for the reminder.