Thursday, January 2, 2014

"Ender's Game" - Not Worth the Time...

I'm not the biggest fan of science fiction/fantasy novels, but have read a reasonable amount in that genre. There are some sci-fi/fantasy novels that I really like (i.e., Frankenstein, The Handmaid's Tale, The Princess Bride), some I dislike/loathe (i.e., Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Animal Farm, Slaughterhouse Five). Within the sci-fi/fantasy category, I do enjoy a good dystopian novel (i.e., the Hunger Games series, the Divergent series, Fatherland). So even though it's not my favorite genre to read, I do try to at least read the most popular and well-regarded novels, which brings me to Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. Published in 1985 and often at the top of the list as being one of the best sci-fi/fantasy books, I finally got around to reading this book and I wish I could have that time back to do something better... like picking fleas off my cat, watching paint dry, counting grains of rice, etc.

Synopsis: "Young Ender Wiggin thinks he is playing war games at the Battle School, high in orbit, but he is engaged in something far more desperate. Ender may be the military genius Earth desperately needs in a war against an alien enemy seeking to destry all human life. The only way to find out is to throw Ender into ever-harsher training, to chip away and find the diamond inside, or destroy him utterly." (from the back cover)

Review:  This novel is considered by some to be one of the best books, but I can't figure out why it's such a classic. Most reviewers seem to have really enjoyed Ender's Game. Others, such as myself, didn't care for the book at all. What's amusing is that when negative reviewers express bewilderment at all the rave reviews, the enthusiasts often respond by accusing those who didn't like the book of being narrow-minded. But I really don't think narrow-mindedness is the problem. My problem with this book boils down to three issues: Plausibility, target audience, genre fidelity.

Star Wars was far-fetched. When you start out with Wookies, the Force, talking/thinking droids, etc., you pretty much suspend rational rules and adopt an "anything goes" mentality. You know you're watching fantasy. However, Ender's Game doesn't position itself that way. The storyline is that Earth is in the battle of its life against aliens. Desperate to survive, Earth has created a highly specialized training program to groom new military talent. This program searches for young children with a profile of aggression, high intellect and adaptability. Once identified, these kids are taken from their families, loaded onto a floating battle lab where they're trained to fight aliens.

Now the idea that six year old kids, like Ender, would spend four years training and then get shipped to the front lines is a bit of a stretch. And when you factor in that Ender is not only supposed to fight when he arrives, that he's actually supposed to command an army, credulity reaches a snapping point. Would Earth really appoint a ten-year old to spearhead an invasion? Worse still, Ender Wiggins military training is essentially nothing more than laser tag in a zero-gravity chamber. And this training goes on and on and on, dominating nearly two thirds of the book. I just couldn't see how this was turning young Ender into the next George S. Patton.

And then there is the issue of the target audience for the book, which appears to be squarely aimed at 10-15 year olds. Many will stridently deny this but the juvenile banter between characters clearly seeks to emulate the thoughts and emotions of children. There is a lot of silly name calling, talk about pubic hairs, etc. And while this may be fine for a young preteen audience, many adult readers will be turned off.

Finally there is the issue of the genre. As a sci-fi book, I didn't find it speculative or original enough. It was an action-driven book with a relatively simplistic inter-species war theme, and a less than surprising "surprise" ending. I don't want to give it away for those who might actually enjoy this book, but I'll just say that the whole thing was just not very sophisticated sci-fi. Additionally, sci-fi is more of a backdrop to Ender's Game than a foundation. It's true, they do fight aliens at the end, but that's a very minor part of the book. And, yes, they are on a spaceship. But the same scenes could have been played out practically anywhere. All you need is a zero-gravity chamber, some dorm rooms, and a cafeteria. The ship feels like a prop so that Card can tell a coming of age story (with a subtext on the innate violent nature of humankind tossed in). All of that is well and good but I find it confusing how Ender's Game won two science fiction awards (the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award) when it barely seems to fit that genre.

All in all, I found this novel to be dull and tedious. I certainly will not be reading the rest of the series.

Rating: 1 out of 5stars

Note: I have not seen the movie adaptation of the novel so I have no opinion on the film. Due to my dislike of the book, it's highly unlikely that I will watch the movie.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

So narrow minded! I love this book and totally want to re-read it since it's been so many years since my boys and I read it, and discussed it together.

Tom said...

Now you've ruined sci-fi for me. I thought it was all real. Now you tell me it's all make believe and very bad make believe. I'm crushed. JK. But if this was as much a POS read as you say, you've saved me hours of wasted time. I have to trust you because you did not steer me wrong on that Tropper novel. What's your opinion on the Martin "A Song Of Ice And Fire" series?

Melissa said...

I've read this book twice. LOVE IT. SO much. Then again, I also am a fierce lover of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Do you like Lois Lowry's books?

Sandi said...

Melissa, I've never read any of Lois Lowry's novels. Bonnie, that's why there are books out there for everyone. I didn't like Ender's Game but I'm in the minority. Tom, you might like it, but I didn't. It's a fast read so you could try it. I haven't read the Martin series.

Bonnie said...

Lois Lowry!! Another great: "The Giver"...so rich, amazing!