Friday, May 3, 2013

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 20 (My Junk)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix

One of the last musicals I saw on Broadway before leaving New York City was the rock musical, Spring Awakening. (The last being The Addams Family, which was a rather unremarkable show - other than starring the genius that is Nathan Lane.) On the other hand, Spring Awakening is probably one of the best musicals I have been fortunate to see. I was so affected by the show that I went back a week later to see the production again and it was just as impressive the second time around. In fact, I think it was even more spectacular upon a subsequent viewing. When I saw it, the show starred Hunter Parrish who was surprisingly outstanding in the lead role of Melchoir.

Synopsis: Nominated for 11 Tony Awards and winner of 8, including Best Musical, Spring Awakening is based on the 1891 Frank Wedekind's play of the same name (which was banned in Germany due to its frank portrayal of teenage sexuality, abortion, homosexuality, rape, incest and suicide) and "depicts a dozen young people making their way through the thrilling, complicated and mysterious time of sexual awakening".  (Playbill.com)

Today, I was listening to the soundtrack which was a wonderful trip down memory lane of some of the better times I had in New York City. In addition to being a happy memory, the soundtrack is filled with the most amazing music. I had a hard time narrowing down my favorite song; there being so many fantastic songs on this album - songs like "Totally F***ed", "The Bitch of Living", "All That's Known", "And Then There Were None", and ... hmmm... well, I could just sit here and list all 20 songs, but that would be a waste of time.  Just check out the entire soundtrack - someone kindly posted all tracks on YouTube. It'll be well worth your listening time.

The one I've decided to feature here is "My Junk", which is all about how we all have our addictions/hangups/obsessions (our junk), which is what I love most about the music from Spring Awakening - how relatable the lyrics are. It's true, isn't it? We all have something that is our "junk". In the case of the girls during this song, it all about loving someone from afar. The boys sing about something far more base: lust. Yeah, a little stereotyping there, but pretty accurate. I'm adding this song to my catharsis playlist. Lyrics can be found here. Enjoy!


If you ever get an opportunity to see this musical, take the chance. 

No comments: