Friday, March 15, 2013

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 17 (I Know the Truth)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix

I'm once again on a musical theatre kick this week and have been listening to one of my favorite musicals, Elton John and Tim Rice's Aida, over the past couple of days. It's probably been a couple of years since I've listened to this musical but it is one show that never disappoints. Not surprising! Can you really go wrong when you have music by Sir Elton John and lyrics by Sir Tim Rice?  I think not!

Synopsis:  Aida follows the love-story of Nubian Princess, Aida, and her nation's enemy, the Captain of the Egyptian Army, Radamès. Yet, Radamès is betrothed to Princess Amneris, Pharaoh's daughter. Radamès must chose love or power, and his choice of love leads to tragic circumstances. (Yes, the musical is based on the opera by Guiseppe Verdi.)

I was fortunate enough to have seen this fantastic musical while it was running on Broadway - a couple of times actually (that's how much I adored this production). The show starred an incredibly talented cast: Heather Headley as Aida, Adam Pascal (the original Roger in Rent) as Radamès, and Sherie Rene Scott as Amneris. Three of the most incredible voices ever to grace a stage.  

Winner of 4 Tony awards in 2000, including Best Musical Score, this show is just magnificent. It has some of the best music you will ever hear.  Don't believe me? Take a listen.  Today, one of the songs that I have probably heard hundreds of times took on a more personal meaning for me that it ever had in the past. It's become my signature song, so I decided it must be shared. Here's Sherie Rene Scott singing "I Know the Truth". 

<sigh>  So gorgeous. Thank you, Sir Elton and Sir Tim. You can find the lyrics here.

No comments: