Tuesday, January 7, 2014

How to Remember the Little Things in Life!

Are you someone who forgets all the small yet good things that go on in your life? I definitely am! We know that the big wonderful things in life are easy to remember - that trip abroad, the birth of a child, etc. Additionally, we also know that the bad things are way easier to remember than the good things, which I'm not quite sure why. So what's the best way to remember the all those little fantastic every day things? Things like the hilarious joke that a friend tells you, the compliment that your significant other gives you, the goal that you finally accomplished, etc. I've struggled with how to keep track of those small but precious items. Diaries are probably the most tried and true method, but I've never been much for keeping a diary (too time consuming and boring).

Then I saw a Facebook posting of a high school friend of mine. The posting was of the picture below and I think it's a great idea for remembering those little things in life:

In case you can't read the instructions, here's a reprint:

Starting January 1st, write good things that happen to you on little pieces of paper [and place them in a jar]:
     - surprise gifts
     - accomplished goals
     - the beauty of nature
     - "LOL" moments
     - memories worth saving
     - daily blessings
Then on December 31st open the jar and read all the amazing things that happened to you in [2014]! 

Okay, clearly this picture is something that was re-posted from the year before so I updated the instructions to say "2014".

This concept is a really good way of remembering all the small, yet wonderful things that happen in the course of a year. Of course, I'm starting this endeavor a few days late, especially since I have yet to buy the glass jar. I suppose I could use something else. I've got a couple of tin cans that once housed Christmas cookies/candy, which apparently do not magically refill no matter how long you hold onto them. Maybe I'll use one of those instead.

Unsurprising, for the high tech geek, there's an iPhone app called "Little Memory", which is for this specific idea, but that seems a little too impersonal for me. I'm going old school - pen and paper.


1 comment:

Michael said...

we did this for the last year...it was great looking back on our year - both good and bad things...