Friday, May 25, 2012

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 4 (Hold On)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music." – Jimi Hendrix

I've been listening to a lot of musical theatre soundtracks the past couple of days. I know that there are people out there who hate musical theatre (freaks!), so this posting is not for you. Musical theatre has been a integral part of my life for... well... it seems like forever. I would have loved to have spent my entire performing career doing nothing but musical theatre (on Broadway), but alas it wasn't meant to be. There are numerous Broadway musicals that have special meaning for me on so many different levels, like today's posting. I find that some of the most eloquent songs can be found in musical theatre; songs that teach valuable lessons or echo my own personal sentiments and feelings. Up until 1990, I had never had the pleasure of seeing a Broadway production.  Sure, I had seen lots of stage productions: high school, community, national tours, regional, etc., but hadn't had the opportunity to get to New York City to see a show in one of the Broadway houses.  In 1990, I saw my first Broadway show and, sad to say, it was The Phantom of the Opera.  Blech. What an overproduced piece of dung, although musically the show soars. I don't have many fond memories of my first Broadway show, but my second Broadway show was The Secret Garden in 1991 and what a treasure.

Mandy Patinkin and Robert Westenberg
I specifically wanted to see The Secret Garden because one of my idols, Mandy Patinkin was playing Archibald Crane, the uncle of lead character Mary Lennox.  I am in awe of Mr. Patinkin's talent and was determined to see him on Broadway. I was not disappointed by Mr. Patinkin's performance (nor have been in any subsequent production he's been involved with), but was in awe of the entire cast as well.  So much so that I wrote a "fan" letter to Mr. Patinkin expressing my delight in the show to which I received a lovely reply. Thanks, Mandy! Playing the role of 10-year old Mary Lennox was Daisy Eagan and she was enchanting.  At 11 years old, she was the youngest Tony award winning actress for this show (deservedly so) and already a veteran of the Broadway stage (grr!).  Additionally, I was blown away by Alison Fraser who played the role of the chambermaid, Martha (a role that I would commit homicide to play).  The song, "Hold On" sung by Ms. Fraser moved me deeply and still remains a favorite.  The lyrics are a reminder to everyone that when we have bad days (and we all do), just 'hold on' and remember that those days pass. I've gotten much better at remembering that over the past year.

I had a hard time deciding which musical theatre song to post because there are almost too many memorable musical theatre songs for me.  Here are a few honorable mentions:  "Not a Day Goes By" from Merrily We Roll Along,  "There's a Fine, Fine Line" from Avenue Q, "I'm Not That Girl" from Wicked, "Take That Look Off Your Face" from Song and Dance, and "On My Own" from Les Miz. Yeah, yeah, I know.  Most are gut wrenching ballads.  Sue me.

Without further ado, Alison Fraser singing "Hold On" from The Secret Garden.


Hold On
When you see the storm is coming,
See the lightning part the skies,
It's too late to run-
There's terror in your eyes!
What you do then is remember
This old thing you heard me say:
"It's the storm, not you,
That's bound to blow away."

Hold on,
Hold on to someone standing by.
Hold on.
Don't even ask how long or why!
Child, hold on to what you know is true,
Hold on 'til you get through.
Child, oh child!
Hold on!

When you feel your heart is poundin',
Fear a devil's at your door.
There's no place to hide-
You're frozen to the floor!
What you do then is you force yourself
To wake up, and you say:
"It's this dream, not me,
that's bound to go away."

Hold on,
Hold on, the night will soon be by.
Hold on,
Until there's nothing left to try.
Child, hold on, There's angels on their way!
Hold on and hear them say,
"Child, oh child!"

And it doesn't even matter
If the danger and the doom
Come from up above or down below,
Or just come flying
At you from across the room!

When you see a man who's raging,
And he's jealous and he fears
That you've walked through walls
He's hid behind for years.
What you do then is you tell yourself to wait it out
And say it's this day, not me,
That's bound to go away.

Child, oh hold on.
It's this day, not you,
That's bound to go away!

No comments: