Sunday, May 27, 2012

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 5 (Let Them Talk)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music." – Jimi Hendrix

Hugh Laurie is probably one of the few true all round talents, along with Hugh Jackman. Must be something about the name "Hugh." Mr. Laurie has an incredible array of talents which include acting, singing, producing, writing, playing various musical instruments (piano, guitar, drums, harmonica and saxophone), and directing.  He's a brilliant comedic and a dramatic actor, equally. But who knew that this very white, middle-class, Eton and Cambridge educated, British man could sing the blues - a very American/African-American song style! But can we expect less from a man who played the narcissistic, curmudgeon Dr. House so brilliantly for 8 years and fooled the Executive Producer, Bryan Singer during his House audition that he was American?  I think not.

In May of last year, Mr. Laurie's debut album of blues songs entitled Let Them Talk was released and it is well worth the $8. "A glorious celebration of New Orleans blues, Let Them Talk unites Laurie's musical talent with a very personal selection of standards and lost blues classics performed with his band of renowned musicians and some very special guest stars." While this album might not be to everyone's taste and apparently some people hate his voice (gasp!), I thoroughly enjoy listening to these songs. It's apparent while listening to this album that Hugh loves this art form; he is clearly, hopelessly, passionately in love with the blues, and this is his tribute to the genre. Is James Hugh Calum Laurie the epicenter of blues music? Is he the greatest blues piano player that ever drew breath? Is he to be counted among such luminaries as Howlin' Wolf, Blind Lemmon Jefferson, or Lady Day? Oh, don't be silly. Of course not. That's not the point of the album. This is an homage paid to those great artists, and its palpable innocence drips with a certain authenticity straight from the Mississippi delta that has me jonesing for some Jambalaya. I applaud Mr Laurie for his wondrous commitment to this art form.  I will sorely miss my Monday nights spent with Dr. House and his team, but I can always find comfort in his blues songs.

Picking a favorite song from this album was tough, as there are so many great songs. Here is ONE of my favorites, the title song "Let Then Talk."  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  And if you enjoyed watching House, you should see Mr. Laurie's earlier work in Blackadder or A Bit of Fry and Laurie.  Comedic genius!


Let Them Talk
Just let them talk,
If they want to?
That don´t bother me.

I´m gonna keep on till the whole wide world knows,
That I really love you, I really love you so.

And let them whisper for they know no-
What´s between you and I

I´am gonna keep on, I´am gonna on loving you?
Till the day that I die?

They´ll try to brake up our romance,
They didn´t stand a chance.

We have the kind of love that so strong,
We´d be together from now on?

They´ll say that gossip comes from the devil´s workshop,
And only true love can make it stop?

I´am gonna keep on, I´am gonna on loving you!
Till the day that I die?

Oh they´ll envy us, of everything that we do.

But I wanna say it´s wonderful -
When you love someone,
and that someone and that someone really loves you,
and that someone yeah that someone really loves you,
and that someone and that someone really loves you-

Yeah-

And that someone yeah that someone really loves you?

2 comments:

Paige said...

awesome....he continues to amaze me. so many talents!

Sandi said...

Agreed, Paige. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.