Saturday, January 4, 2014

My Worst Enemy...

In trying to come up with a post for today, I was fooling around on the Random Topic Generator, looking for a subject on which to write. I ran through about a dozen random topics which were uninspiring, that is until 'Your worst enemy' came up. I thought: "Hmmm, that's interesting. Who is my worst enemy?" 

My initial knee jerk reaction was to say that I am my own worst enemy, but when I gave it more thought I realized that's not entirely accurate. Yes, I am unbelievably critical of myself. I downplay any and all accomplishments and obsessively examine and negatively critique my past failures. I have a general discontent with how I want my life to be, instead of accepting the limitations with which I've been presented. And the list of self-destructive thought processes goes on. Despite these foibles, I still would list myself as number 2 on my enemy list.

No, my #1 enemy is Chaos! The complete randomness and unfairness of life is the one thing that that negatively affects my life more than anything else. I've touched on the chaos theory in a previous blog and I wholeheartedly embrace the concept that our lives are controlled by a combination of chaos and free will. But what can you do about an enemy that you cannot fight, cannot negotiate with, cannot conquer? When chaos is your #1 enemy, I'm starting to realize you have to learn to love your enemy because there aren't any other choices. If you're enemy is a real living being, there's something you can do about it - confront them, conflict resolution, ignore them, what have you. But an entity which has no ears, no eyes, no brain, etc., you cannot contend with. While I hate my #1 enemy and will never understand it, I will have to strive to accept this enemy and deal with it the best I can.

Who is your worst enemy? How do you contend with them?

2 comments:

Tom said...

My worst enemy is belly button lint. Not just mine but anybody's. No wait. No it isn't. Toe jam is my worst...no, it's not that either. TV commercials are my worst enemy. That's it. Those money grubbing bastards. I deal with it by channel surfing and yelling at the TV. I'm not a well man.

Sandi said...

LMAO. No, you're not well but you are hilarious!