Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 6 (With One More Look At You)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music." – Jimi Hendrix

Whatever happened to the movie musical?  I know that as recently as 2002 we had Chicago (loved it!) and Moulin Rouge! in 2001 (hated it!), but other than that it seems that the movie musical has gone the way of the dodo bird.  At least good movie musicals have. Now, I'm sure most people are saying "thank god!"  But I've grown up watching movie musicals and have always loved the genre and am looking forward to the upcoming release of Les Misérables.  Hugh Jackman!  YAY!  Singin' in the Rain (1952) is hands down one of my all-time favorite movie musicals and is #1 on the list of AFI's top 25 movie musicals. You can't get better than Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds!  <sigh>  Or how about West Side Story, The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, etc., etc., etc.  Of course when I think of the Queen of the Movie Musicals, I think Barbra Streisand.  (No groaning, please.)

Because I was in a wistful mood over not having seen a movie musical in a dog's age, I started going through my iTunes library to see what movie musicals I had to listen to and came across one of my favorites - A Star is Born (1976).  Now ordinarily I think remakes of movies are usually pretty bad compared to the originals and the 1976 Streisand movie is pretty unwatchable especially when compared to the 1954 Judy Garland version (I don't think I've ever seen the 1937 Janet Gaynor original).  The one notable exception that makes the '76 version worthwhile is the soundtrack.  Okay, sure it's cheesy '70s music but it's Barbra Streisand - whom I love, although I'm well aware not everyone feels that same affinity for Babs. Kris Kristofferson is painfully bad and should never be allowed to sing... EVER!  But that doesn't stop me from loving the soundtrack from this version of A Star is Born, particularly the finale: "With One More Look at You/Watch Closely Now." I just love her commitment!

Lyrics can be found here.  Now, hhhhhhhere's Barbra!




2 comments:

Czarvoter said...

Ladies and Gentlemen... Esther Hoffman Howard.

My mother played this album relentlessly while I was a kid. For better or worse, I know it backwards and forwards. While I still suffer from a bit of burn-in... it IS a good album and that IS an awesome song. Now... just don't tell anyone I said so. ; )

Sandi said...

LOL!! Your secret is safe with me. As long as you put $1000 in an envelope and place it under the 3rd bench from the left downtown. :-)