Monday, November 25, 2013

Music Doesn't Lie - Part 26 (What'll I Do)

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world,
then it can only happen through music.
" – Jimi Hendrix 

I was recently searching for a song on YouTube to bring into school for my little cherubs to listen to and stumbled across Linda Ronstadt's version of the great Irving Berlin song "What'll I Do" and I just melted after hearing it again. I remember purchasing Ms. Ronstadt's album What's New? back in the mid-80s and loving all those beautiful standards, but particularly this song. Thirty years later, this song has much more meaning for me today that it ever did all those years ago. Back in my performer days, I remember discussing some of these standards to my voice coach as a suggestion for a cabaret show but somehow it never came about. Also, I remember having a heated argument over Ms. Ronstadt's American Songbook trilogy - my coach hated the albums, but I thought they were fantastic. He thought the tempo of the songs was too slow. Eh, whatever. To each their own. 

It saddened me when I heard earlier this year that Ms. Ronstadt has developed Parkinson's Disease and is unable to sing anymore. But having such fond remembrances of these albums has caused me to make digital purchases of the entire Linda Ronstadt-Nelson Riddle collection. There are so many amazing songs - like "Someone to Watch Over Me", "I Love You For Sentimental Reasons", and "My Funny Valentine".  Oooooh, how about: "Mean to Me" and "You Took Advantage of Me". Most of these songs have been added to my catharsis playlist, but top of the list is "What'll I Do?" Click here for the lyrics. Take a listen to the beauty of the lyrics and the lushness of Ms. Ronstadt's voice! You will be mesmerized.


2 comments:

Marianne said...

I have always been a Fan of hers. Hope she gets into the rock and roll hall of fame, she deserves it.

Sandi said...

I hope so too. She's up against some tough competition this upcoming year.