Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Best of British TV Dramas

In reviewing my favourite British TV dramas, I decided that I couldn't create recommendations based on genre as I don't have that many different genres of dramas that I watch. Therefore, my recommendations are the dramas that I adore and continually re-watch, therefore the categories are quite a mish-mash. There aren't many (if any) surprises on this list and most of my readers could probably have guessed these recommendations.

Without further ado, here are my top picks for British TV dramas:
  1. Doctor Who (1963-Present): First, let me say that I have not been watching Doctor Who since 1963 (I'm old, but not THAT old!). I didn't even know about the show until its 2005 reincarnation. Consequently, I have only watched a handful of the pre-2005 shows, but the series relaunch in 2005 is sheer brilliance. Although, right now I limit my watching of the show because it has taken a slight downturn since Matt Smith took over the role of The Doctor (in my opinion). I'm not certain if it's entirely Matt Smith's fault or a combination of him and the change in the production staff that occurred at the same time. But it still ranks as one of the best British television sci-fi dramas. Tenth Doctor: "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually — from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint — it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
  2. Torchwood (2006-Present): Currently on an indefinite hiatus, Torchwood is a sci-fi spin-off of the reincarnated Doctor Who. Torchwood Institute is a secret organization founded by the British Crown (Queen Victoria to be exact). The members of the Torchwood fight to protect the Earth from extraterrestrial and supernatural threats. Torchwood is a more adult version of Doctor Who - it's a lot randier. Captain Jack Harkness: "Tosh was right - she went straight for the ex-boyfriend. Lucky she's young; work your way through my back catalogue, we'll be here till the Sun explodes."
  3. Sherlock (2010-Present):  This modern update finds the famous sleuth and his doctor partner solving crime in 21st century London. Sadly, only 6 episodes have been produced and it appears the show will end after season 3 with a total of 9 episodes. This much-heralded show is fantastic but the actors' commitments to other projects will probably cause the show to have a early demise. Sherlock: "We've got ourselves a serial killer. Love those - there's always something to look forward to."
  4. MI-5 (aka Spooks) (2002-2011): The series follows the work of a group of MI5 officers based at the service's Thames House headquarters, in a highly secure suite of offices known as The Grid. Originally starring one of my favourite actors, Matthew MacFadyen, this show is a thrilling crime drama. Colin Wells: "Didn't we bug this suite when Bill Clinton used it?" Malcolm Wynn-Jones: "We did." Colin Wells:  "Happy days!"
  5. Downton Abbey (2010-Present):  I think perhaps most people are aware of this brilliant series, but in case you're not: set in the fictional Yorkshire country estate of Downton Abbey, the show depicts the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants in the post-Edwardian era - with the great events in history having an effect on their lives and on the British social hierarchy. Although I am uncertain how the next season of the show will be due to the turn of events at the end of the last season, but I am willing to give it a go when the next season starts. Lady Grantham: "Last night! He looked so well. Of course it would happen to a foreigner. No Englishman would dream of dying in someone else's house."
As always, I have a few honourable mentions: Wire in the Blood, Primeval, Doc Martin, At Home with the Braithwaites, and Survivors.

Don't worry!  I didn't forget about the great mini-series that are continually and excellently produced out of the UK. Pride and Prejudice, Bleak House, Little Dorrit, and North & South are my top picks for British mini-series. Yeah, I love well written, beautifully directed and wonderfully acted period dramas based on my favourite 19th century British literature. It's the hopeless romantic in me. I have to figure out a way to get rid of that stupid bitch!  :-)


No comments: