Friday, February 22, 2013

More Must See Brit TV!

Yes, I have a mild obsession with British television - mostly because it is superior to the rubbish that comes out of Hollywood. Here's an additional list of programmes that you must watch if you are a fan of British television/humour. If you're not a fan, then move along - nothing to see here. Most of these suggestions I forgot to list in my previous two posts; a couple shows are ones that I couldn't fit into the comedies or dramas categories.  
  1. A Bit of Fry & Laurie (1987-1995): It is inexcusable that I neglected to mention this show in my Brit comedies post.  I should be flogged for it. This sketch comedy show stars the comedic geniuses of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. In the great tradition of so many comedy duos before them (Burns and Allen, Abbot and Costello, Tom and Jerry, etc.), Fry and Laurie's programme consists of several small sketches over the course of the episode. Each and every sketch is a riot. Hugh: "Then I was Princess Anne's assistant for a while, but I chucked that in because it was obvious they were never going to make me Princess Anne, no matter how well I did the job. It was a question of who you were, rather than how well you did, you know, and I hate that." (See the video below for one of my favorite moments.)
  2. Top Gear (2002-Present):  If you can't tell from the title, Top Gear is a car show, but it's not just a show for gearheads. Yes, it probably helps to have some interest in automobiles, but it's not a necessity.  The show's presenters are Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May and they are just stunningly funny.  Jeremy Clarkson: "If this were America, it would be full of people doing... whatever it is they do. Incest, mostly, I think."
  3. Shaun the Sheep (2007-Present): Yes, it is "technically" a children's show, but I think it's laugh out loud funny. As with many children's programmes, this show has humour that is clearly for the adults who are watching. From the creator of Wallace and Gromit and Chicken Run (Nick Park), this stop-motion, claymation series tells the woolly misadventures of Shaun (a sheep) down on the farm with all of his barnyard friends. Shaun made his first appearance in Wallace and Gromit's, A Close Shave, before branching off into his very own series. Well done, Shaun! There is no spoken dialogue, even from the human characters. The stories are told with simple grunts, bleats, and sighs which speak volumes.
  4. Coupling (2000-2004): At the suggestion of a couple of friends, I spent most of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday watching all four seasons of this bitingly funny show and it was time well spent. Okay, truth be told - it was a complete waste of time but I don't regret the wasted time, because it was such an uproariously fantastic way to fritter away the time!  Coupling is one of the funniest sitcoms that I have seen in ages - other than The Big Bang Theory. This show "centres on the dating and sexual adventures and mishaps of six friends in their thirties, often depicting the three women and the three men each talking among themselves about the same events, but in entirely different terms". (Wikipedia) DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW ON NETFLIX. Watch it on Hulu.  For some reason, Netflix cuts 6 minutes off each show; something I did not discover until partway through the second season. <grrrr> Jeff: "When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name!'"
  5. Wallander (2008-Present):  Again, how I could forget to list this show is beyond me. Starring the brilliant actor/director (and my imaginary boyfriend) Kenneth Branagh and filmed on location in Sweden, this crime drama follows the life of a brooding and bitter chief inspector of Ystad, Sweden, Kurt Wallander who investigates some of the most heinous crimes imaginable. The show is based on books written by Swedish novelist, Henning MankillKurt Wallander: [to child prostitute pimp] "A while back this young fellow was sitting in the chair you're in now. He had read the lists of those who had died in the tsunami in Asia. He got hold of the address of one of the families affected. Know what he did? He broke into the house and stole anything of any value. But before he left, guess what he did? He turned all the taps on full blast all over the house. When I saw him sitting across from me, I thought... 'this is the most despicable and pathetic person I have ever met.' Only now I know better."
This posting might be the last on my British television watching habits... but then again, maybe not.  Give these programmes a shot.  They are amazing.
I just had to include this video of Hugh Laurie singing one of my favourite songs from A Bit of Fry & Laurie.  I dare you not to laugh! I've seen this video dozens of times and still laugh my head off. If you want to see an updated version, check out this video from when Hugh appeared on Inside the Actors Studio in 2006.

No comments: