Monday, February 4, 2013

"The Chocolate War" is Vividly Real!

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books that I plan to use with one or another of my classes. Good thing that I love YA novels.  This weekend, I read Robert Cormier's acclaimed novel, The Chocolate War in preparation for a unit that I'm doing with my Freshman class.  

Synopsis: "Stunned by his mother's recent death and appalled by the way his father sleepwalks through life, Jerry Renault, a New England high school student, ponders the poster in his locker - "Do I dare disturb the universe?" Part of his universe is Archie Costello, leader of a secret school society (the Virgils) and master of intimidation.  Archie himself is intimidated by a cool, ambitious teacher into having the Virgils spearhead the annual fund-raising event - a chocolate sale.  When Jerry refuses to be bullied into selling chocolates, he becomes a hero, but his defiance is a threat to Archie, the Virgils, and the school.  In the inevitable showdown, Archie's skill at intimidation turns Jerry from hero to outcast, to victim, leaving him alone and terribly vulnerable. A high school freshman discovers the devastating consequences of refusing to join in the school's annual fund raising drive and arousing the wrath of the school bullies." (B&N)

Review:  This book is extraordinarily controversial. "Because of the novel's language, the concept of a high school secret society using intimidation to enforce the cultural norms of the school, and various characters' sexual ponderings, it has been the frequent target of censors and appears at number three on the American Library Association's list of the 'Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books in 2000-2009'." (Wikipedia)  But reading this book with a group of inner city students is a no brainer.  My students can understand the themes of this book better than anyone.  The blatant depiction of  peer pressure, bullying, violence, manipulation, morality, ethics etc. will give my students much to discuss.  Some teachers steer clear of controversial books but I'm looking forward to hearing my students ponder the controversial issues in this book.  

The Chocolate War is one of the most realistic books that I've read in recent history.  If you've ever been a teenager, you'll understand the enormous complexities of this book.  An easy, fast, and wonderful read!  For you non-readers out there, I believe there's a movie, but my suggestion is to READ THE BOOK!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments: