Thursday, February 21, 2013

News Flash: Women Talk More Than Men!

NNNNNNOOOOOOO! I'm sure everyone is shocked by the above statement. This morning, I was watching one of those annoying morning news programs which featured the following report: "Women talk more than men ... according to studies, the average woman speaks approximately 20,000 words in a day, which is about 13,000 more than the average man." The apparent reason behind this difference is a "language" protein called FOXP2, which women possess at higher levels than men. (See the full news article at Science World Report.) That report prompted me to do some research.  I located a study from 2007 which reported that men speak just as much as women.  Erm, well which is it?  Do women talk more than men or not? 

Personally, I'm not certain women talk more than men, I just think we have more intelligent things to say and therefore it seems like we talk more. Oh, snap. Anyway: Ladies, next time the man in your life complains about how much you talk, tell him that we are genetically predisposed to talking and they'll just have to get over it.

All joking aside, I think that it depends on the situation on which gender talks more and perhaps it's not as straightforward as these reports seem to indicate. Then again, is anything ever straightforward? But it is interesting.

No comments: