Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Cupcake Dilemma Solved...Sadly!

Last April, I wrote blog about my cupcake cravings. In that post, I whined over the fact that I couldn't find one bakery in Newburyport which sells just an uncomplicated vanilla cupcake to satisfy my occasional craving. Well, at the repeated urging of a friend, I finally made my way to a bakery located a few towns over in Haverhill, MA - Cakes by Erin - and lo and behold, there they were.  Simple vanilla (and lemon and chocolate and red velvet and... well you get the idea) cupcakes.  Eureka!

The cupcakes at Cakes by Erin are exactly what I've been searching for. This bakery was recently featured on the Food Network's "Sugar Dome" which "pits teams of cake designers, sugar artists, and specialty craftspeople in a series of challenges to create the ultimate sugary showpiece".  How did Cakes by Erin do?  They won! 

But I am despondent about this discovery. Why? A couple of reasons. One, the cupcakes are wonderfully delicious which makes resisting them really, really difficult! Two, the bakery is not in a terribly convenient location - roughly a 30 minute drive away (although it is on my way home from school, so.....)  Which leads me to problem three - too convenient.  I have to stop myself from driving through Haverhill on my way home from school. How can it be both inconvenient and too convenient? Welllll, just accept my confused reasoning over that!

Drat!  What's a cupcake craver to do??  My plan is to limit my trips to Cakes by Erin.  Hence, when I do have a raging craving that cannot be denied, then (and only then) will I travel there and allow myself to purchase just ONE cupcake.  I fully admit that I bought two on my trip this past Saturday.  But I have a good excuse. After all, I had to taste test two flavors (vanilla and lemon) so that I could conclude on my own whether these cupcakes  are as good as my friend claims. They are.

If you get to Haverhill and want a delicious cupcake, stop by CBE. Oh, CBE - you are equally a joy and a sorrow!
These are the cupcakes from CBE!

No comments: