Saturday, February 9, 2013

SNOW! ARGH!

Wow, I am experiencing my first New England blizzard. Ummmmmm, not fun is certainly an understatement. Now don't get me wrong. I am extremely familiar with blizzards - mostly while living in Manhattan where I had the joy of not having to deal with digging out from it. Getting rid of the snow was the landlord's issue. Additionally, the subway nearly always kept running; therefore, as long as I could walk through the streets, I could get where I needed to go, but times have changed.

This morning, I went out to start digging out from Blizzard Nemo and was met with a wall of snow.  I took a deep breath and started digging... and digging... and digging.  When I paused after digging out a good portion of the sidewalk, I looked behind me and there was already a half inch of snow right where I had dug. Argh! I finally managed to dig my way to where I had parked my car and what did I find? My car buried under 3 feet of snow (see photo below). As I stood there looking, I thought to myself, "How the <bleep> will I get my car out?! There's 3 feet depth, 10 feet width and 5 feet length of snow between my car and the road that I need to dig out! WTF!  I need to dig this out before Monday morning." Yeah, it was a long and frustrating conversation.
My new car is buried somewhere
under all that white crap!
I went back out 2 hours later (it was still snowing) and start digging some more. I did manage to get a path cleared to my driver's side door but there was still a ton of snow piled on top of the car and even more from the front bumper to the street that needs clearing. Ugh! It's days like today that I think about moving to warmer climes.  My plan is to head out every 2 hours between the rest of today and tomorrow and just gradually clear the snow.  The biggest headache: where to put the snow?? Because I live in town, there's no place to put it. Those of you who live in the 'burbs and have laws and garages, consider yourself lucky!

Update at 3:00pm Saturday:  I have the best next door neighbors.  As I went out to dig out my car, my neighbors had already dug about 80% of the snow and I just had to finish up. Got to love small town America where people still help others.  Of course, I had cleared their sidewalk earlier so...  

Update 9:00 am Sunday: It took awhile but the car is free!
There used to be a car right there.


3 comments:

Tania said...

wow girly, that's a lot of snow. and i was out shoveling this morning complaining about the 5-6 inches we got here. i feel for ya. :-(

Sandi said...

:-) 5-6 inches! So jealous!! It's pretty horrendous here. Fortunately, I don't have anywhere to go today or tomorrow so it's all good.

Barbara said...

I remember having my car buried under 3 feet of snow!! I don't miss that. Thanks for sharing the pictures Sandi, they are great. Stay warm, it will be spring soon. :-) Or come visit and you can have spring now!! :-D