Sunday, February 10, 2013

Best Family Movies...

Time to continue my movie recommendations - this time the best family movies.  Now, I don't have a family but I enjoy a good family movie just the same.  So whether or not you have a family, here are my picks for good family fun... or just fun without the family.  I had to go with my top 6 movies simply because I couldn't decide on the top 5.
  1. The Goonies (1985): This is one of those movies that any time it's on, I have to stop and watch it.  Written by the inimitable Steven Spielberg, directed by the amazing Richard Donner and starring one of my favorite actors, Sean Astin, this movie is a fun adventure. Mikey: "Goonies never say die!"
  2. Chicken Run (2000): While perhaps this movie could be characterized as an animated film, I'm including it on this list due to it being a stop-motion claymation and not a straight up animated movie. This movie features a whole host of some of my favorite British actors: Jane Horrocks, Miranda Richardson, Julia Sawalha, Imeda Staunton, Timothy Spall... oh, and add in the bizarre, yet talented, Mel Gibson.  From the creators of one of the best British series, Wallace and Gromit, Peter Lord and Nick Park, Chicken Run never fails to charm.  Fowler: "Pushy Americans, always showing up late for every war. Overpaid, oversexed, and over here."
  3. The Wizard of Oz (1939):  Another movie that I must watch at least once a year.  Being a musical, many people shun this movie, but I still say this movie will always be considered one of the best family movies ever created - starring the legendary Judy Garland and nominated for 6 Academy Awards (winner of 2). Wicked Witch of the West: "The last to go will see the first three go before her. And her little dog too." 
  4. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971): Yes, another movie musical, but it must be included in my list if for no other reason than the performance by Gene Wilder in the titular role.  He gives a brilliant performance. Willy Wonka: "The suspense is terrible... I hope it'll last."
  5. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982): It's interesting how often Steven Spielberg ends up on my lists.  Yeah, it's because he's a genius in the film industry.  Yet another hit for Mr. Spielberg, this movie is just incredibly charming and also has made the sales of Reese's Pieces triple. Talk about product placement! Additionally, it features a really great cast: Dee Wallace, Peter Coyote, Henry Thomas, C. Thomas Howell, and an incredibly young, Drew BarrymoreMichael: "We're all going to die and they're never going to give me my license!"
  6. The Princess Bride (1987): I love, love, love this movie.  The cast has some of the most talented performers: Mandy Patinkin, Cary Elwes, Christopher Guest, Billy Crystal, Peter Falk, Frank Savage, Chris Sarandon, Carol Kane, Wallace Shawn and Robin Wright.  Wow!  Incredible cast.  Directed by Rob Reiner, I am always charmed by this movie.  Inigo Montoya:  "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."  (I know this line is probably the most over quoted line but it's also one of the best!)
Honorable mentionsAdventures in Babysitting (1987), Freaky Friday (1976), The Parent Trap (1998), and all of the Harry Potter movies.  A blizzard filled weekend is the perfect time for family movie night!  Enjoy some of these movies! I think I'll go watch Chicken Run.



2 comments:

Frank said...

Princess Bride marathon on BBCA right now.

Sandi said...

Such a great movie!