Monday, February 18, 2013

Do You Cheat on Your Favorite Starbucks?

Weird question, I know, but I heard a funny conversation today and it got me thinking about that question. The conversation occurred between two men as I was leaving my local Starbucks. One man said: "Yeah, it's an okay store, but I prefer to go to my regular Starbucks. It's just better." The other man concurred with the first man. I had to laugh because - honestly - is one Starbucks that dramatically different than others? Not really, but people (myself included) tend to favor one Starbucks store over another and we almost feel like we're cheating on them if we go to a different location.  Never mind if we patronize a different type of coffee/tea shop (i.e., Dunkin' Donuts, etc.).

I am a regular customer at the Starbucks in Newburyport.  When I walk in, every barista there knows me and knows my order.  Some staff members have taken to calling my order the "Triple No Chai" (grande, non-fat, no water, no foam chai). But approximately once a week, I go to another Starbucks (in Boston) when I'm down there for class and I feel ever so slightly guilty that I'm not at my regular store. Also, while the Boston location has a very friendly and courteous staff, they don't know me or my order. It's just that extra nicety that comes with going to one's "usual" location.  I guess I agree with the earlier conversation but I still think it's really, really funny!

So have you ever cheated on your Starbucks store?

No comments: