Friday, November 1, 2013

Are You an "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" Person or ...

...an "Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder" Person?


I was contemplating this question on my drive home today. See, I'm an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" kind of person. As I was stuck in traffic, I got to thinking about a trip that I'm planning back to NYC soon to see some of my friends. In particular, I'm looking forward to possibly seeing my City College posse ("Vaya con dios"), my law firm friends, and my performer compadres. While I do not miss NYC, I do miss seeing my friends and wish that they would all just move up here to be nearer to me. (I'm selfish like that.) Then I realized how much I really and truly adore my friends and when I don't see them, I miss them even more. See - absence makes my heart grow fonder!

But then I started thinking of the people that I know who are the "out of sight, out of mind" type of person and I've come to a conclusion about these two types of people. I think that the "Absence=Fonder" people are those who fits into the obsessive category (i.e, yours truly) and the "OOS, OOM" people are those that lean toward the ADD/ADHD category. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. Obsessives think and think and contemplate and remember, while the ADD/ADHD are easily distracted and constantly on the go. Or am I stereotyping too much? 

I'd love to see some research on this subject, but alas, probably most researchers would find this subject a poor use of their time.  What do you think?  Which one are you?

7 comments:

Tom said...

I'm usually the LMTFA kind of guy. So I'm not sure but that might put me in that second category.

Sandi said...

I think that puts you in a category all on your own. The a-hole category. :-)

Franka said...

No I'm not. I miss you and can't wait for you to visit. Sometimes I sit and think about how much I enjoyed and looked forward to seeing you, Yolanda and Raina each day. Between all of us there will always be love...Vaya con Dios!

Sandi said...

<3 you, Franka. See you in December.

Kimberly said...

What if you have OCD and ADHD?

Sandi said...

Is that even possible? How would that person even make it through a day?

Kimberly said...

Absence makes the sight grow out of mind....squirrel! Ew, squirrels have germs - I better go wash my brain. Kinda like that.