Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Cancer War Update...

For those of you who are keeping track of my cancer battle, here's the latest:  

I will be going through at least one more round of chemotherapy. According to my oncologist, "research shows that 7 rounds of chemo is the most effective for treating [my] type of cancer." Yeah, sounds like a load of crappola to me too, but I'm going with it. Ergo, this Friday, I head back to the cancer center for what will be my 7th, and hopefully last, round. After Friday's treatment, they'll schedule a CT scan to see what's going on with the lung nodules. With any luck, there will be no evidence of cancer and I can take a break from chemotherapy.

In other news, I am practically drinking all my food these days - thanks to the horrendous mouth sores. Even soft foods like yogurt and pudding are a little too harsh right now for my tender tongue and painful gums. GNC is making a fortune off of my buying their protein powder which is one of few things that I can "eat". I suppose the upside to the inability to eat is that I've now lost 15 pounds, so that should make my doctor happy. Yes, I will state it again - the chemotherapy diet is effective but I do not recommend it. 

Otherwise, there isn't much else to report. I still have fairly painful and completely annoying neuropathy which I suspect will not be going away anytime soon. Fatigue is still an issue but I can proudly say, other than treatment days, I still have not missed one day of work. Although I'm starting to wonder if that's a good thing or a stupid thing! 

That's all for now.  Stay tuned for further developments.

9 comments:

Tom said...

This is a mix of good and not so good news but all hopeful news. Sending you encouragement and strength. I'd send you chocolate if you could eat it, because we all know chocolate heals everything. As always anything you need from me let me know. Love you.

Sandi said...

I'll take you up on the chocolate offer when I'm back to eating solid foods - can you also send along some Pork roll and Scrapple. ;-) Love you too!!

Agatha said...

Keep fighting -- one last round, you can do it!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update- you are SUPERWOMAN! Always thinking about you...!
xo

Sandi said...

Thanks, Becky! Miss you. xo

Cindy said...

Keep fighting as I am looking forward to seeing you in Ft. Lauderdale August 1-2!!

Barbara said...

I'm always interested in your cancer war updates. How come the ribbon is red/orange instead of pink? Thinking of you more than you know. Keep up your spirits if possible. Definitely the chemo diet is NOT a diet for wimps!!! You are one strong woman and I admire your spirit. Wish I could find my spirit!! Love you

Sandi said...

Thanks, Cindy. Can't wait to see everyone!! Barbara, it's a peach ribbon which is for endometrial/uterine cancer, which is what my diagnosis is. Pink is breast cancer. Thanks, my friend. Love you too!

cheap ray ban wayfarer sunglasses said...

Very impressive for your article, thanks!