Tuesday, November 19, 2013

How Do You De-Stress?

Today was a horrendous workday. My students were acting like douchebags and I ended up losing my temper with 2 of my most heinous classes. It got so bad, I actually thought that I would be terminated or would quit before the end of the day. So when I got home I really needed to de-stress from the day, but I was unsure of what to do.

Years ago, I would have turned to alcoholic beverages to get me over the hump, but since I've stopped imbibing in alcohol, that's not an option.  Food is a temporary source of comfort, but I'm trying to eat healthier these days and I've had a couple of recent "bad" food days, so that's out as well - although I'm not exactly ruling out a trip to Starbucks! I'm not someone who enjoys meditation or yoga - in fact, I hate it, so that's not going to work. Listening to music on the way home from school didn't cut it - it ended up annoying me. I can't seem to concentrate enough to read or even watch television. I'm thinking that my last alternative is to just go to bed and forget about the horrors of the day and hope that tomorrow is better, but it's kind of early for that. I'd end up being wide awake at 2am. <sigh>  I just don't know what else to try.

Anyone else have ways to de-stress that I didn't think of?  I could use some alternatives.

10 comments:

Tom said...

Shopping. That's usually how I deal when all other outlets fail. Seriously. I'll go online or go to Wal-Mart or the Mall. Buy music, a book, new shirt or pants. It doesn't fix the problem but it helps to cope. It's either that or plan some heinous act of revenge.

Sandi said...

Oh, I'm so dumb. I can't believe it didn't think of shopping. I'll try that. I'm not in the mood to drive, so Amazon here I come! :-)

Agatha said...

Love shopping therapy almost as much as cooking and gardening and painting therapy;)

Sandi said...

If I had crayons and coloring books, I'd be all over art therapy.

Agatha said...

If we lived closer, I could bring you some. I think I may have some leftover art supplies from when friends children were little.

Sandi said...

Yeah, too bad. But I'm having fun shopping for art supplies. Win win!

Agatha said...

On line shopping certainly has made life easier.

Marianne said...

Bubble baths work for me

Linda said...

Two words: Project Runway. Works for me every time. That or the latest trashy People, US Weekly or Vanity Fair.
xxoo Linda

Sandi said...

I used to love Project Runway until they had the wrong winner one season. I stopped watching after that outrage. :-)