Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Catching Up on Older TV Shows...

I enjoy reviewing past shows that I have discovered well after the show has either ended or is several seasons into their run. It's like finding new friends and then introducing those friends to others! I've written in the past about some these shows like Rescue Me, The West Wing, and Lost. Over the past couple of weeks I've been checking out some "new" old shows that I have found to be incredibly entertaining. Here are my thoughts:

Jekyll: is a 2007 British television drama serial produced by Hartswood Films and Stagescreen Productions for BBC One and is sheer genius. Coming from the mind of Steven Moffatt - creator of a few of my favorite shows: Coupling, Sherlock, and Doctor Who, this series is a brilliant adaptation of the Robert Louis Stevenson novella, Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Actually, Moffatt calls it "a sequel" to the novella rather than an adaptation. This 6 episode production stars Northern Irish comedian and actor, James Nesbitt, in the titular role, who absolutely shines throughout his performance with the contrasting shades of Dr. Jackman/Hyde's personalities. "Jackman" is the modern day Jekyll. The sheer intensity of Hyde left me aquiver, never quite knowing what was next.  An absolute must-see for anyone who likes thrillers. Plenty of twists and turns which will keep you on the edge of your seat. Jekyll can be streamed on Netflix.

Once Upon a Time:  is an American fairy tale drama series which premiered in 2011 and has just started its 3rd season. "The show takes place in the fictional seaside town of Storybrooke, Maine, in which its residents are actually characters from various fairy tales that were transported to the 'real world' town and robbed of their real memories by a powerful curse. Episodes typically feature a primary storyline in Storybrooke, as well as a secondary storyline usually from another point in a character's life before the curse was enacted." (Wikipedia). I grew up reading and watching fairy tales and always looking for my 'happily ever after'; therefore this series is right up my alley. No, this show is not Emmy-award winning. It's more in the "innocent family fun" genre and I love it.  I'm halfway through the first season, and I am hooked. Once Upon a Time can be streamed on Netflix and the new season is on ABC on Sundays.  There's also a new show, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, a spinoff of Once Upon a Time, which begins tomorrow night that I intend to check out. I hope that it's as entertaining as the original.

Breaking Bad: Okay, my apologies to all Breaking Bad fans for my dissing of this fine show in a previous blog. (Although I still stick by my commentary that a meth lab toy set is in bad taste!) A friend insisted that I try watching the show from the first season and, because I trust this person's taste in shows, I went back and started watching season one. I have to admit it's a great show. For anyone who has lived under a rock for the past 5 years, Breaking Bad is "an American crime drama television series, which tells the story of Walter White (Emmy award winner Bryan Cranston), a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer at the beginning of the series. He turns to a life of crime, producing and selling methamphetamine, in order to secure his family's financial future before he dies" (Wikipedia). As most people are aware, the Breaking Bad series finale just aired at the end of September. Fortunately, I am so far behind on viewing this show that even if someone tells me the ending, I'll probably have forgotten it before I actually watch it. But that being said - DON'T TELL ME THE ENDING!

It's been rather amusing in my house the past few days because I'll watch one episode of Once Upon a Time and then an episode of Breaking Bad. Talk about two completely different shows! Good times!!!

1 comment:

Jessie said...

LOVE Once Upon A Time! Hope the sequel will be just as good if not better. :-)