Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Last Supper

Let's say you could predict the end of your life. Here's the scenario: after a hundred healthy years on this Earth, you know that on a certain date, after you've gone to bed, you would just pass on to your next life: what would your last supper be the night before?

Once I got my cancer diagnosis, I started thinking about this question. Yeah, okay, I admit it - I'm a foodie! So naturally, I started planning my last supper. Yes, my thoughts are to go out with a bang when it comes to my last meal - that is if I get the opportunity to plan it. I would like this final dinner to be a full course dinner and here's my wish menu:

Course 1:  Bruschetta topped with tomato salad
Course 2:  New England Clam Chowder
Course 3: Spinach Salad (fresh spinach, bacon, cranberry raisins & walnuts with gorgonzola cheese, in a warm lemon honey dressing)
Course 4:  Beef Ravioli in a vodka sauce
Course 5:  Gordon Ramsay's Beef Wellington with mashed potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts
Course 6:  Hot apple pie with fresh whipped cream
Course 7:  Tea with petit fours

Hopefully, this meal will take place in about 40 years. <fingers crossed> Is this decadent?? You betcha! If it's going to be my last meal, it got to be an over top gastrointestinal smorgasbord. Of course, if I couldn't get Gordon Ramsay's beef wellington, I would have to rethink my entree. Perhaps surf and turf instead, but I'm counting on the beef wellington. I've seen enough episodes of Hell's Kitchen and Gordon Ramsay's F Word to really want to try that wellington!

What would your last meal be?

Here's a video with Gordon instructing on how to cook his world famous beef wellington. Anyone willing to make it and invite me to dinner?? Or better yet, anyone know Gordon who might invite me to his house for dinner??? :-)

11 comments:

Tom said...

I'll work on that invite. My last meal would have to include chicken wings (10 flavors), pizza (10 types), lasagna, meatballs, lobster roll, shrimp, assorted seafood, every kind of cake, pie and cookie any baker could provide. No greens cause this stuff ain't coming out. Place it on a long buffet table and have Hans and Franz my man servants push my 989 pound 89 year-old frame along the table in my specially built wheelchair where I can have a little taste of this and a lot of taste of that where at the end after gaining enough to tip a truck scale at a cool 1/2 ton I die face down in ambrosia. I hate ambrosia. Were we talking fantasy or nightmare? I forget. Anyway. Anything will be better than being feed pureed green peas as a last meal

Sandi said...

Where's your 20-year old gold digging girlfriend in this scenario?

Agatha said...

I'm mighty disappointed -- not a single mention of fabulous wine or festive beverage with every course! My last meal might have to be a day long event. Starting with a Bloody Mary and a fabulous omelette, grits, and a biscuit. For lunch, I'd love some pinot gris with mussels in a spicy red sauce and shrimp/ clams in white wine sauce over linguini and fabulous crusty bread. Dinner is tough one, Italian, Thai, Mexican or American, it would be tough to include it all. Would have to Aunt Shirley Mangone's Lasagna, Aunt Rose Flenner's Chicken Parmaesan, Aunt Ann Dignardi's Eggplant Parmaesan, Aunt Jean Dellapa's cookies. and then throw in a lovely red wine, a pomegrante margarita, a mojito, a vodka martini, a little scotch-- a little pad thai, basil rolls, fish tacos, french dip sandwich and a cheese burger from Houston's and a decadent chocolate cake for dessert with a nice glass of quantro to finish it and me off!

Sandi said...

Oh, I gave up drinking over 3 years ago, so no wine or festive beverages for me. I definitely agree on Aunt Jean's cookies. Also, Aunt Jean's Easter pizza would have to be added. That would probably be my lunch. Your meals sound delish!

Agatha said...

I don't believe I've had Aunt Jean's Easter pizza -- I have some of her cookie recipes and bake them at Christmas.

Tom said...

Agatha: Grits? You've been in GA too long? I did leave out the Mexican dishes. Anything Mexican.

Agatha said...

Oh Tom, they are delicious, all that buttery an salty loveliness!

Sandi said...

Eeeeeeuuuuuuwwww. I'm with Tom. I do not like grits!

Agatha said...

You all probably just haven't had good grits!

Tom said...

Don't get me wrong I've had grits... good grits too. South Ca-olina grits. Just not on the top of my must eat list. Now bacon that's a different story. You can just about baconize and cheese everything on the menu and I'll want it on my plate. Pass me my heart meds please.

Sandi said...

No such animal as "good grits". :-) Nah, it's a texture thing. I don't like oatmeal, mush, farina, etc