Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Meth Lab Toy!?!?! What the...

This morning, while watching the news, I saw a disturbing report about a toy that is inspired by the AMC television show Breaking Bad.  It's a replica meth lab which the manufacturers call "SuperLab Playset" and runs $250. "Already sold out, the set allows kids to recreate a crystal meth manufacturing lab right down to the most minute detail. The SuperLab kit comes complete with drug paraphernalia and protective masks for the tiny figurines, one of whom is a dead ringer for central Bad character Walter White."

I'm sorry, but am I the only person who finds this "toy" to be disturbing? It seems to glorify the idea that being a meth dealer is a cool thing.  Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, but I hate this toy.  I'm not even a parent, so I can only imagine how a parent feels.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who hates it. Lego is equally unhappy with this toy because it bears a striking resemblance to Lego-made toys. I think this toy is really in bad taste and I'm wondering who are the people paying for this toy - particularly at a whopping $250. Are they actually buying it for their children to play with or is it merely a novelty item that they will keep in a box to sell at a future date? Either way, this toy is in bad taste and I question why anyone would manufacture such a toy. 

Meh!

5 comments:

Erin said...

I'm thinking they MIGHT have been targeting your typical 35yr old virgin still living in his Mom's basement....or Lego Collectors..(yeah I didn't believe they existed until I saw it with my own eyes) Buuuut I totally see your rational when Lego's are marketed to children. If my kid got this it would go right back to the store...Not a smart move...whatever makes money I guess... :-(

at least lego isn't happy about it...maybe they'll get it yanked for copyright infringement?

Sandi said...

Fingers crossed on that. Although I read somewhere that the manufacturer wasn't sure he was going to make any more kits. What a douche!

Erin said...

yup totally! Though I have friends who are rabid fans of the show and would scoop this up in a second.

Sandi said...

Yeah, I could see a fan of the show buying this. I don't care for the show myself, but I hear it's a huge hit.

SnarkyTom said...

Unbelievable. That was my idea. They stole it. Me and my meth lab partners came up with a fantastic marketing scheme. A free toy lab with a purchase of our special Blue Meth. Okay. That's not even funny to me. I've watched the show. As it is quite entertaining but to glorify the manufacturing of poison that destroys minds and bodies is in really, really bad taste. I'm as outraged as you are. But in America even tasteless bad ideas have the right to be produced and sold. The only way to kill this is through public condemnation and nobody buying it. But as you said there are assholes who will buy anything.