Saturday, October 26, 2013

New Chemo Side Effect!

Just when you think chemotherapy can't get more glamorous, lo and behold, it does! I guess this time around with chemo, I'm going to get all the side effects, not just a few. Chaos has decided to throw a new side effect into the ring - mouth sores!  Yeah, it's not like I have anything else to deal with right now.

For the past couple of days, I've been having some pain issues with the soft tissue in my mouth, but I figured it would pass. Yeah, not so much. All of a sudden, today, I felt like my lower lip had puffed up, so I went to take a look in the mirror. What did I see? My bottom lip looks like someone clocked me in the mouth! I decided to call the oncologist on call this weekend to discuss this new symptom. As I was speaking with the answering service, I noticed that I was sounding like Mike Tyson after going 10 rounds with Muhammed Ali.  So yeah, as annoying as this side effect is, it's kind of hilarious at the same time.

Why does chemotherapy cause mouth sores?

"Chemotherapy...can cause mouth sores...because [chemo is] intended to kill rapidly growing cells - such as cancer cells. Some healthy cells in the body also divide and grow rapidly, including the cells that line the inside of the mouth. Unfortunately these healthy cells are also damaged by chemotherapy...Damage to the cells in the mouth makes it difficult for the mouth to heal itself and to fend off germs, leading to sores and infections."  (MayoClinic.com)

After a consult with the on call oncologist and a chat with the super nice pharmacist at my local CVS, I came home with a prescription for oral lidocaine (an anesthetic) and Biotene dry mouth oral rinse, which should help with the symptoms and pain. Additionally, I'm starting to think that I've got one in my esophagus, which should make for an interesting time when eating.

I'm a little bummed this happened because today is my school's homecoming dance and, as the Freshman class faculty advisor, I was committed to attending the dance as a chaperone. Due to this new side effect and the fact that talking is a chore, I am forced to stay home. Strangely enough, I was kind of looking forward to attending the dance. Oh well, there's always next year... unless... well... you know.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I'm sorry for you missing the dance. I know you were looking forward to having clumsy Freshmen step on your feet while dancing.