Sunday, October 6, 2013

The New Fall Lineup - "Must See" and "Not So Must See" TV!

Usually when the new fall lineups come out, I'm pretty apathetic. In general, I don't rush to watch many of the new shows as I think most are probably pretty awful, but this year, I was a little more excited over a few new shows due to the actors starring in the shows. Alas, I discovered that there is a reason why I'm indifferent over fall lineups. Many of the hyped shows are pretty unwatchable. This fall, I've discovered only one new show that I like. Here are my thoughts on some of the "hot new" shows:

The Crazy Ones: I was so excited to see that Robin Williams was returning to television. Then I had the misfortune to watch the premier of his new show. Meh! I had high hopes and was so disappointed when, 10 minutes in, I had to force myself to keep watching, hoping beyond hope that it would improve. It didn't! The show is full of cheesy, obvious, and worn out jokes. Simply put, Robin Williams has succumbed to being a parody of himself. Why not just have a 20 minute Robin Williams stand-up routine? Clearly, the producers thought that putting him in as the star was enough to "make" the show. Additionally, Sarah Michelle Geller and Williams have no chemistry as father and daughter. Her comedic input not only falls flat but is also completely overwhelmed by Williams' shtick. The supporting cast adds nothing to enhance the experience - none of the relationships are properly introduced or embellished so everyone seems completely one dimensional from the get go. I was bored and uncomfortable and far from entertained. 

The Blacklist: As with Williams, I was excited that James Spader would be starring in a new television drama, but sadly was disappointed in the final product. I struggled to get through this implausible show. This Silence of the Lambs ripoff is badly written and filled with ridiculous situations and clichés. Yes, one often has to suspend a certain amount of disbelief when watching television, but the idea of the FBI being so incredibly easy to manipulate is appalling. The agents are portrayed as idiots. I did not like the female main character. She is way too gullible and perfectly fixed up even when she is in major danger. Her husband appears to have no personality other than to stand in her shadow, and he is apparently incapable of taking care of himself. After her husband's injury, she ridiculously wears underwear to scrub her husband's blood off the carpet, weeping, rather than hiring a cleaning crew. And when the story fails (because of lack of real people and a fascinating plot), the writers toss in some explosions, car chases and children in danger. Even James Spader cannot save this turkey!

Hostages: Any show starring Toni Collette and Dylan McDermott and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer should be a hit show and yet... The premise of the show (an elite surgeon who is supposed to kill the President during surgery while her family is held hostage by a rogue FBI agent) works for a 2 hour movie but I don't see how this plot can be sustained over an entire season. Add in the fact that everyone in the family has some secret: the pregnant daughter, the drug dealing son, and the cheating husband makes the  show feel entirely too contrived. I was looking forward to watching Toni Collette on the small screen, but this show is a waste of time for an actress of her calibre.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: I did not have any intention of watching this show, but stumbled upon it by accident. So far it's been a happy accident. The show is about the missions of the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division (S.H.I.E.L.D.). It is two episodes in and I think it started well and am hopeful that it will continue to impress.  I'm not a Marvel comics fan so I am not coming into the show with any preconceived notions other than I enjoy the movies which are based on the comics: X-Men, The Avengers, Iron Man, etc. This is the lone new show that I have seen that I think might be worth the time to watch. Unfortunately, due to low ratings, I have a sneaky suspicion it will not be around for long.

Also, The Big Bang Theory is back and as funny as ever! Thank goodness for that! Elementary and NCIS are both back and still going strong. Although I am sad over the departure of Ziva David (Cote de Pablo) from NCIS, it was handled really well.

2 comments:

Tom Smith said...

Ouch! I just burned all my scripts. You trashed all the shows I sort of like and praised the one that I panned from the start. We agree on Hostages though. A movie, yes. A series, it's not going to last. I always give a slow 3 to 4 shows to decide. I hope that they don't lead with their best stuff. If they do, them the show is doomed. I still like Robin Williams and James Spader but agree that all the supporting casts and plots are thinner than the paper they're written on. I gave The Goldbergs 2 shows and they lost. I'm giving both Dads and Mom one more show and I might drop both of them from my watchlist. I'm also giving Michael J Fox a try. So far it's meh. Generally network TV is a crapfest. Glad I've got cable and premium channels and a $200 plus monthly cable bill. They don't have this in Russia or the Middle East. USA. USA. USA.

Sandi said...

LOL!!! Well, we each have our own different tastes. I didn't even try The Goldbergs - looked dumb from the start. Same with Dads and Moms. Let me know about the Michael J Fox show.