Sunday, October 20, 2013

MasterChef Junior - Pleasantly Delightful!

I admit it - I'm a huge fan of MasterChef, the competitive cooking reality series. I don't much care for most reality TV, but, being a huge fan of Gordon Ramsay, when MasterChef debuted in 2010, I knew it was a "must see" for me. Toward the end of this past season's series, Fox kept showing premiers for MasterChef Junior, a children's version of MasterChef, and I was hesitant about watching this new permutation of the series. I wasn't concerned that Gordon, Graham Elliot, and Joe Bastianich would be as vicious to these little urchins as they are to the adult contestants - they are parents themselves after all.  No, my concern was that these kids would turn out to be little monsters and have some of the bad behaviors that the adults exhibit in the regular series. During this past season, I wanted to gouge out the eyes of Season 4 contestant, Krissi who was the most obnoxious, foul-mouthed bully ever to disgrace a television show.

Happily, I was wrong. This show is a sheer delight! Yes, there is one little girl who I find to be a bit annoying when she gets excited and starts screaming with this freakishly high pitched voice, but otherwise, I am pleasantly surprised by this series. For one thing, these kids are cooking some of the most amazing looking dishes which as an adult, I couldn't even pull off. The contestants' ages range from 9-13 and often impress me (and the three judges) with their culinary skills. Two, the judges are the most supportive of these little chefs and give them solid and complementary critiques. They never debase the kids. Lastly, the kids are just really, really cute, respectful, and polite.

All in all, I am so glad that I decided to watch this show. I amazed at these kids and I am looking forward to the final few weeks and seeing who is crowned the winner of MasterChef Junior.

Update on 11/9/13:  A big congratulations to Alexander - the 13 year old MasterChef Junior winner. It did not come as a big surprise as "Big Al" was probably the strongest contestant throughout the competition. Really impressive finale and season.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Also a fan of anything Gordon Ramsey, I had the same misgivings about the junior series but.... It is adorable. Gordon, Joe and Graham are really enjoying themselves and these kids are awesome. They are more mature than the adults, even in their cooking skills. Bravo Gordon another success and great way to introduce kids to cooking at an early age. I think I have picked up a few tips already. May the fork be with you!