Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Tot Ziens Amsterdam (Day 16 - GToE)

Tonight, I will be taking a 7pm train to Berlin which arrives at 4am. Ugh! What to do in Berlin at 4am? Fingers crossed there's a coffee shop open.

In the meantime, it's time to say tot ziens (goodbye) to Amsterdam. While I did enjoy my stay here in Amsterdam and will always remember my visits to the Anne Frank Huis and the Van Gogh Museum, I can't say that I loved Amsterdam. I certainly liked Amsterdam a lot but I didn't fall in love with it like I thought I would.

Amsterdam is a beautiful city and the people are wonderful, but I just didn't connect here as I did with my three previous spots (Edinburgh, London, and Dublin). I am certainly glad I visited Amsterdam, but probably could have cut my visit by one day. Perhaps if the sun had come out even once while I was here, I might feel differently, but I doubt it. I think that Amsterdam is a city better to live in than to visit ... if that makes any sense. I certain that Amsterdammers probably have an excellent quality of life, I just don't find their city all that interesting as a visitor, with the notable exceptions of the Anne Frank Huis and the Van Gogh Museum.

Today, I mostly just meandered around town exploring different areas than I hadn't explored before. I took some random photos and window shopped, but otherwise, today was much ado about nothing. I ended up back at my hostel by 1:00pm where I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in the lounge area and watching Ripper Street on Netflix. (Love Matthew Macfadyen!!) I will leave momentarily to catch a tram across town to the Central train station where I will board the night train to Berlin.

Feel free to check out my Day 16 photos on my GToE photo site.

3 comments:

Tom said...

You should catch up with your Downton Abbey watching too.

Sandi said...

Yes, I really should.

Marianne said...

I never could get into Ripper Street.